Gyuto recomendation

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shauk

Reaction score
Hey KKFers

Been using my Sukenari K-tip gyuto for the last 3 months, whilst I absolutely loved it I am finding the K-tip a little too 'delicate' when doing certain food prepwork like cutting a pumpkin or watermelon. When pointing the tip and slicing down I have on several occasion lightly gouged my cutting board (no damage but this is where I find the K-tip unsuitable for these type of work), so I am finding myself reaching for my older gyuto.

I'd like something with a proper wide bevel similar to this Hitohira (Hitohira Tanaka Kyuzo Blue #1 Migaki Gyuto 240mm Ziricote Handle) that's within my budget.

I'd also like to have a crack at some White steel with a stainless clad, I enjoy sharpening my knife's and I'd love to get them screaming sharp won't be needing the extra edge retention from Blue steel.

Higher HRC is a plus for me too.

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chefs knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?

240mm Chef knife Gyuto

Are you right or left handed?
Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Japanese

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
240mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
Would prefer carbon and stainless clad

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
500-900 Aud

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
Mainly Pinch

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
Push-cut, slice, very light chop, and very ocassionaly rock for mining garlic (which I've steered away since I got the k-tip gyuto) as I am able to do the onion cut on garlic.

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?

No layered/damascus/petterend steel. would like a good two/tone handle (maybe dark wood with lighter buffalo handle). As long the fit and finish is perfect I'am happy.
Would prefered the handle to be 'sealed' with hot glue as the rust inside the handle just 'irsk' me.

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
Definately rounded spine and choil, good balance

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?

Like to try white steel as I quite enjoy sharpening.

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Synthethic Cutting board

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

Love everything about this knife...if only it came in white steel.

1646708753587.png

Maybe check these out:
-Hitohira Togashi stainless clad white #1

I second the recommendation for a Togashi.

I own an iron clad blue 2, so I can't speak to the stainless clad white 1. My blue 2, though, is a really nice wide bevel workhorse. It has turned out to be one of my most used/most loved knives because it has excellent food release and while it's hefty at 240grams, it is still really thin behind the edge due to its wide bevel grid. Not sure where to get one in Australia, but mine came from an online store in Singapore.

Check out Protooling, great selection despite many were sold out already. You might even able to visit their brick store!

If you're willing to go R2, there is a Kei Kobayashi 240 on the BST now.

Last edited:

I own an iron clad blue 2, so I can't speak to the stainless clad white 1. My blue 2, though, is a really nice wide bevel workhorse. It has turned out to be one of my most used/most loved knives because it has excellent food release and while it's hefty at 240grams, it is still really thin behind the edge due to its wide bevel grid. Not sure where to get one in Australia, but mine came from an online store in Singapore.

Yeah I think you nailed it with what I am after, Wide bevel workhorse extra height would be a plus but I can do fine without it.
Check out Protooling, great selection despite many were sold out already. You might even able to visit their brick store!

Definitely giving them a ring today!

+1 for Protooling, you should definitely speak to them. Plenty of sold out items shown on the website, but they have heaps of nice stock on display in their new place.

Konosuke Sumiiro 240mm SLD semi-stainless gives them 65HRC
but i would not consider edge retention if I choose white steel. if you want edge retention, them get a A steel instead of white steel.

Go to Protooling and knives and stones, see them, try them in person. I would recommend knives from Sanjo if you are a slicer. Watanabe, Geihei, Nihei, Yoshikane and Wakui.

May I ask how thick the spine is please? I own a stainless clad and it says 2mm out of the heel on my 240.

Go to Protooling and knives and stones, see them, try them in person. I would recommend knives from Sanjo if you are a slicer. Watanabe, Geihei, Nihei, Yoshikane and Wakui.

Paul from customer support have been amazing, Hitohira is possibly updating their website to sell direct to consumer perhaps?

hitohira.png

May I ask how thick the spine is please? I own a stainless clad and it says 2mm out of the heel on my 240.

Funny you should ask, because I just took the measurements to fit a new handle. It's 4.2mm out of the handle, then tapers down, but not too much. It seems like the stainless clad ones are a lot thinner than my example...

Back