Gyuto Vote

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by adam92, Jan 21, 2020.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

?

Gyuto recommend

1. Kurosaki Cobalt steel

12.5%
  2. Kurosaki R2 shizuku

18.8%
  3. Kintaro Aogami Super nashiji

18.8%
  4. Kurosaki Aogami Super(KNS version)

50.0%
  1. Jan 21, 2020 #1

adam92

adam92

adam92

Please share your experience if you try these knife before or currently using.

2. Jan 22, 2020 #2

Colonel Mustard

Colonel Mustard

Colonel Mustard

I'm currently using the R2 Shizuku and really enjoying it. It cuts effortlessly through pretty much everything I throw at it. Even though it doesn't have much distal taper, it's really thin at the tip. Onions horizontal swipes are really easy with it. It could be nice to have a rounded spine but it's not a deal breaker for me. And even though I've read that R2 can be hard to sharpen, I haven't had trouble sharpening this knife. Just keep in mind I haven't tried the other listed knives.

3. Jan 22, 2020 #3

Briochy

Briochy

Briochy

I'm using KnS Kurosaki R2 Shizuku. While I'm moderately happy with it, I don't like the steel too much. Not because it's hard to sharpen, but it tends to microchip quite a bit more than my other white/blue steel knives. Granted, I do rock chop some herbs, but that isn't a problem with my carbon steel knives at all, so I don't see why you should limit yourself to push cut, when you can buy knives that don't chip as easily, except you want that stainless quality. Therefore, my vote goes to Kurosaki blue super, which has the exact same grind, better steel (in my opinion), and quite a bit cheaper. Although, just a quick note, Kurosaki's knives aren't that good at food release. I much prefer Yoshikane Amekiri (I assume you are gonna buy from KnS). It has better food penetration and food release, but quite a bit shorter.

4. Jan 22, 2020 #4

Colonel Mustard

Colonel Mustard

Colonel Mustard

Personally, I've never had microchips on mine. But I have to agree that food release isn't this knife's greatest strength.

5. Jan 22, 2020 #5

Briochy

Briochy

Briochy

Haha, I guess you are a much more responsible chopper. When I want to rock chop, I do without hesitation. That's why mine has multiple microchipping even before it properly dulls.

6. Jan 22, 2020 #6

JDC

JDC

JDC

Kurosaki's AS steel might be a little different from regular AS (the patina looks slightly paler on Kurosaki's). However, it's easy to sharpen and takes a very fine edge. The edge retention is also remarkable.

Briochy likes this.
  7. Jan 22, 2020 #7

thebradleycrew

thebradleycrew

thebradleycrew

Supporting Member

I love Kurosaki's Aogami Super. I've had his R2 and AS, and prefer the AS over the R2. That said, carbon steel is my preference in general but I would put his R2 as a second choice. Still a wonderful HT job on that steel.

Draft saved Draft deleted