Gyutos: How do You Classify or Organize Yours?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ch_br

Careful man, there's a beverage here...
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gyutos: THE most used, versatile, bought, sold, and collected knife type here... by a WIDE margin

So let's discuss how those, who have so many, classify (and keep track) of them all. 🔪 🔪 🔪

Possible Ways to Classify/Organize/Differentiate your Gyuto Collection:
  • Usage Type ( Beater, Workhorse, Work Pony, Showpiece, BNIB hermetically sealed in a vault, etc.)
  • Steel Type
  • Blacksmith / Manufacturer
  • A Hybrid System (combining some of the above)
  • Your specialized that only makes sense to you (e.g. autobiographical)

Please share your system for classifying your beloved Gyutos with everyone below.

(Of course pics are welcome and encouraged) 📸

Last edited:
Wall worthy …

6DA9D8DB-BEEE-478F-9007-F30ABB7EB886.jpeg

Kitchen Worthy …

D9A611E9-B417-4157-992B-F13AD9C210CB.jpeg

Box worthy!

9867F3AF-3321-43FD-9669-7A615EC35449.jpeg

Thatzit!

240s. There's only 10/15 or so.... I've a few that I only use in special occasions - they'll be everyday after retirement when I can better use and maintain them, Haburn, Martell, Wat, couple of old style Gengetsu, probably another 1 or two. Then the users, classified by stainless, stainless clad carbon, carbon. There's a beater or two. Then a couple cheap ones.

I keep a rotation on my knife bar. If it comes off my three 22 inch bars, it’s getting sold or given to friends /family.

Due to -
1) there is a little monster who likes to climb and grab things in the house, and
2) more importantly, apparently apart from myself, no one in the household gives a crap about "nice kasumi finish", "beautiful hamon", "pretty patina" (btw my wife keeps telling me I should get rid of my j knives and go back to Zwillings cos "there is dirty rust on your knives"; and this is the same woman who use my jnat as a doorstop)

Therefore, my system is extremely simple - my current rotation of around 10 knives are kept in a kitchen drawer with either cardboard sayas or boxes; the rest is stuffed in a storage box until it's their turn to move in to the drawer lol

Cutting Boards: Use these
Block: use these
Other Block: use these
Other Block: use these
Drawer: combo of not my favorites and prized jewels
Random boxes and knife cases: crap, forgot about those...
Boxes at my Office: need to wait a while before bring these home and adding them to the rest.

First set is the most used set.
Second set, by maker (all the time knives from this set are exchanging positions with knives from the first set).
Third set is the collectibles set, sorted by maker.

There’s only 5 or 6 of them.. not so much organize as use algorithm in relation to the substrate.

Size is the first step, then wedginess, then durability, then acidity. I don’t mind touching up an acid dulled edge, but if I’m saving the “off the stone” freshness on something carbon, I’ll pull out the only stainless gyuto. If I had known it was stainless at the time, I wouldn’t have bought it - yeah, I was an ultra noob not that long ago.

I’m gonna be honest the Takeda large takes on all comers except for squash and small fruits.
5677FA7D-AAE2-4EE1-B800-A5063092A17B.jpeg

Luckily all are easily accessible.

Due to -
1) there is a little monster who likes to climb and grab things in the house, and
2) more importantly, apparently apart from myself, no one in the household gives a crap about "nice kasumi finish", "beautiful hamon", "pretty patina" (btw my wife keeps telling me I should get rid of my j knives and go back to Zwillings cos "there is dirty rust on your knives"; and this is the same woman who use my jnat as a doorstop)

Therefore, my system is extremely simple - my current rotation of around 10 knives are kept in a kitchen drawer with either cardboard sayas or boxes; the rest is stuffed in a storage box until it's their turn to move in to the drawer lol
Doorstop lmao 🤣

Due to -

This hit home.

Back