Recipe Requested Half a steer worth of beef bones just arrived?!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bert2368

Reaction score
Hellish frozen Northern wasteland, aka MN
One of my employees just got 800+ lb. of beef from a steer, his wife had earlier asked their butcher to pack up the bones and include them for their dog- Then their dog died before they delivered the meat (and about 100 lb. of fresh/frozen beef bones!).

He gave me two cases, at least 50 lb. of bones. WAY more than MY dog can use... I'd only feel safe giving my dog a few of the largest bones, not ribs,m & smaller/easily splintered bones. And it's all in perfect shape, I'm wanting to make some beef stock for sure-

What ELSE is good to do with large quantities of fresh beef bone?

Marrow?

I've got an instant pot, have made stock this way a lot recently. I've liked this for "bone broth"- I've also used a stock pot on low for long time simmering, generally have either used roasted bones (browned in oven) or used bones from roasted/grilled beef. What other techniques could you reccomend?

I usually have added celery, onion trimmings, garlic and occasionally carrots for veggetable & beef broth. Any other good veggie combinations?

(Edit)

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/dark-beef-stock-for-french-onion-soup.50900/
I just skimmed this thread, re: dark beef broth for french onion soup. Will certainly try out DARKER grilled/roasted vegetables as recommended.

Last edited:
OK- I'm definitely going to try the beef French onion soup variation with dark roasted vegetables + tomatoes and the beef pho broth, I've gathered the rest of the ingredients today. I've had plenty of french onion soup and pho so, got a good idea of what those SHOULD be like, for my tastes anyhow.

The Korean recipe isn't any too detailed, plus never had the Korean version? More research needed...

Any split shins? I make and freeze marrow compound butter for use in other dishes.

You could try your hand at old school consomme, egg raft and all. Or a demiglace.

Later down the road when you still have too many bones, give the Korean soup a shot. At the core it’s straight up collagen as a soup base (good for the skin meaning bones points from the wife). The point of the preparation is to make the soup completely white, hence the parboil and removal of fat overnight. It’s definitely a homely comfort food taste, you add your own salt, pepper, and green onions when served to you. Typically you add a thinly sliced boiled meat or arrowroot noodles (they have a chewy texture). You can also do other variations to get more creative. Here’s my lunch from today, I added rice cake slices, sliced beef brisket, an egg, and green onions.
E6B0B05C-9F63-40E2-A13E-C8F8FF0522CB.jpeg

Later down the road when you still have too many bones, give the Korean soup a shot. At the core it’s straight up collagen as a soup base (good for the skin meaning bones points from the wife). The point of the preparation is to make the soup completely white, hence the parboil and removal of fat overnight. It’s definitely a homely comfort food taste, you add your own salt, pepper, and green onions when served to you. Typically you add a thinly sliced boiled meat or arrowroot noodles (they have a chewy texture). You can also do other variations to get more creative. Here’s my lunch from today, I added rice cake slices, sliced beef brisket, an egg, and green onions.View attachment 220006
Bert, knowing you as I do, I just KNOW you're gonna be looking for a rice cake recipe soon, I mean who doesn't want a dumpling in their soup?

https://healthynibblesandbits.com/asian-rice-cakes-steamed-rice-cakes/
ps-I'm off looking for bones later! Thanks @OyakoDont

lmk if you want any pho tips! chef at pho joint past 3-4 years
Thanks! Looking at the recipe link posted by OyakoDont above:

Screenshot_20230117-084616_Samsung Internet.jpg

I did pick up about 6 lb. of sirloin "pot roast" beef for a 2X recipe of the pho stock (with half removed at parboiled stage to later slice into bowls when served). I had fish sauce, ginger root & onions + all the spices listed on hand already EXCEPT "black cardamom". I've not used this spice before- I've got green cardamom on hand for curries, I've read this would not be a good substitute?

Instructions are to split lengthwise and "char" the unpeeled ginger root, char = grill? I've grilled plenty of vegetables for making salsas and other recipes, never done this to ginger before.

Last edited:
Bert, knowing you as I do, I just KNOW you're gonna be looking for a rice cake recipe soon, I mean who doesn't want a dumpling in their soup?

https://healthynibblesandbits.com/asian-rice-cakes-steamed-rice-cakes/
ps-I'm off looking for bones later! Thanks @OyakoDont

Thanks!

I've had various soup dumplings in Japan & China, they are indeed "needed and necessary". Plus the other savory or sweet dumplings.

My mother cooked largely in the german style, being 2nd generation of a german immigrant family who settled in Brooklyn and Long Island. She helped out an aunt with cooking at a Brooklyn delicattesen before/during WWII (and long before she graduated high school). Dumplings and drop biscuits were part of my upbringing, all good.

I had fish sauce, ginger root & onions + all the spices listed on hand already EXCEPT "black cardamom". I've not used this spice before- I've got green cardamom on hand for curries, I've read this would not be a good substitute?

Instructions are to split lengthwise and "char" the unpeeled ginger root, char = grill? I've grilled plenty of vegetables for making salsas and other recipes, never done this to ginger before.
In the past I have used ground cardamom and toasted it, other substitutes are cloves and nutmeg, but if all else goes well I don’t think you’ll miss it. If you have an Indian grocery around you could try there for future recipes.

I didn’t char my ginger when I did this recipe, I sautéed it, but that’s just because I’m used to that flavor instead.

Thanks! Looking at the recipe link posted by OyakoDont above:

View attachment 220133

I did pick up about 6 lb. of sirloin "pot roast" beef for a 2X recipe of the pho stock (with half removed at parboiled stage to later slice into bowls when served). I had fish sauce, ginger root & onions + all the spices listed on hand already EXCEPT "black cardamom". I've not used this spice before- I've got green cardamom on hand for curries, I've read this would not be a good substitute?

looks about right. we use cinnamon, clove, star anise, and black cardamom. it is sometimes called tsao-amon or ammonum or tsao ko in chinese grocery stores. you can skip it. the most important is the star anise and cinnamon. the most important thing is only add beef for the majority of cooking. everything else you add for seasoning, add in the last hour of cooking only. that will keep the broth nice and sweet, clear, and clean tasting. otherwise you will get bitterness from the spices and aromatics. i always parboil every meat for the soup. you don’t need to deeply char the ginger, at all really. you can slice it up or smash it and add it to broth. the onions can be charred but remove most of the outside skins if you blscken them. toss in the whole scallion whites too, and cilantro stems, in last 20min of cooking, if you like that flavor

Back