HAM SLICER?

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by Midsummer, Feb 8, 2015.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Feb 8, 2015 #1

Midsummer

Midsummer

Midsummer

Supporting Member

Occasionally I will buy a cured Spanish ham (pata negra or serrano). I will place it in a ham holder and slice it in the traditional way as needed. What I lack is a Quality Knife for the job. Particularly it is the long flexible

Does anybody have recommendations on knives for the job? Thanks in advance...Tom

[video=youtube_share;FbDUtBbMerg]http://youtu.be/FbDUtBbMerg[/video]

2. Feb 8, 2015 #2

Adrian

Adrian

Adrian

Excellent video. I have an ancient (30 years plus) Gustav Emil Ern ham knife that will cut like that, very thin, flexible and rather worn!

3. Feb 8, 2015 #3

toddnmd

toddnmd

toddnmd

Supporting Member

I know that Shun has one in their classic series.

4. Feb 8, 2015 #4

longhorn

longhorn

longhorn

Sakai Takayuki Grand Cheff series makes a "salmon slicer" that I have and like to use for ham like this. It's essentially just a very thin Suji with big dimples. It's flexible and stays sharp for a good amount of time.

5. Feb 8, 2015 #5

Mucho Bocho

Mucho Bocho

Mucho Bocho

Supporting Member

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2018
  6. Feb 8, 2015 #6

riba

riba

riba

Opinel 223 perhaps? But perhaps a bit too mundane

7. Feb 8, 2015 #7

Midsummer

Midsummer

Midsummer

Supporting Member

Thanks! I had not thought to look at any of these. I looked at them all (a new version of the Gustav Emil). They all look like they can more than do the job! I would love to get one from Heji with a burnt chestnut handle; but I am too much a of a pragmatist to try and commission a new piece. I will probably just pick one to start.

8. Feb 8, 2015 #8

Mrmnms

Mrmnms

Mrmnms

Supporting Member

Despanabrandfoods.com, located in Queens has some very nice traditional forged options at good prices. Arcos sells 30 different ham slicers but only a few are available in the states Anazon?). Cutlery and More has some good inexpensive options as well. You can't go wrong with a Victorianox .

9. Feb 8, 2015 #9

Benuser

Benuser

Benuser

Supporting Member

Any long, narrow blade. Any Sujihiki or European slicer. I prefer carbon steel and like the NOS Nogent 250mm a lot. Or an unexpensive Fujiwara FKH 270mm.

10. Feb 8, 2015 #10
  11. Feb 9, 2015 #11

riba

riba

riba

When I think of a jamon slicer, I think of long, narrow, thin. Heiji has i.m.o. other characteristics (note that I love my Heiji gyuto).

I also encountered: http://www.apedradasmeigas.com/cuchillo-aries/

A friend of mine tried a mora Slicing Knife 3305PG, but told me it was too tall.

12. Feb 9, 2015 #12

Duckfat

Duckfat

Duckfat

Nice video. Amazon (US) does carry the 12" Arcos ham knife. They also have another video of slicing the ham but amazon shows that with the Salmon slicer.

13. Feb 9, 2015 #13

Adrian

Adrian

Adrian

14. Feb 10, 2015 #14

Midsummer

Midsummer

Midsummer

Supporting Member

Adrain; That is a way cool slicer and a beautiful knife. I would love to add that to my collection. I am thinking though that the Spanish "jamoneros" (ham slicers- revered for their ability to handle a knife) use a very flexible blade to an advantage. I think it has to do with the accommodation they make as they cut the bone in ham.

Duckfat- I have seen quite a few of the Arcos blades on Amazon. They are all stainless and would likely be more than I need for my home slicing; but I will look around for for a while yet as my next ham will not be here for a week at least. I am still trying to decide if a 10 inch or a 12 inch would be more of an advantage. And if I could get carbon steel; I would likely go for that (there are some excellent stainless steels also some not so good).

toddmd, longhorn, Mrmnms, tkern, Benuser, Mucho Bocho- many thanks for you thoughts. I am still mulling them over.

Riba- Those cuchillo aries and the carpachio knives are both really nice. I think the cuchillo Aries may be a go. I will have to investigate the site some more.

Draft saved Draft deleted