Handle help pls!;)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaM0w

Always follow your nose
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
upload_2020-2-17_15-28-53.jpeg

Pretty sure it’s either ho wood or magnolia, regardless, what are some methods or compounds I can use to improve the finish/feel of the wood, give it a nicer look all around

thanks!

What constitutes an improvement, or a nicer look? Oiling or waxing is an option, otherwise you could sand to whatever grit you desire and apply a different finish. If you're still not happy, have the handle replaced.

What constitutes an improvement, or a nicer look? Oiling or waxing is an option, otherwise you could sand to whatever grit you desire and apply a different finish. If you're still not happy, have the handle replaced.
A better look is what I want mostly. The wood feels and looks a little porous. I believe I’ve heard of people using beeswax for a fix like this, I just want to know how to do it

Well, they use magnolia for a reason. Tactility is a big one. Simplicity another. Sure, you can sand to a high finish. Oil. Wax.

It will never be more than a ho wood handle, though.

Ah okay. If you're unsure about technique just rub some mineral oil in. Paste furniture wax has directions on the can, very easy to apply. You can do pore fill by wet sanding with boiled linseed oil but this might not be what you'd want to try first.

I'd did several coatings of mineral oil. Then I did 2 coatings of linseed oil. Still retains a little of that wet grippiness without being overly smooth.

Ho is such a soft wood that getting and keeping it very smooth and polished is not really an option. Plus, since the horn is harder than the ho, you’ll want to be careful since it’d be easy to sand the ho down more than the horn. A few coats of mineral oil, then wipe dry. Then mineral oil and beeswax. Linseed oil is nice too and will give a yellow tint.

Keep in mind, the benefit of ho is that it’s rough and grippy. You can put perfume on a pig, but...

If you don’t need the knife for a few days, you can order 100% tung oil from a few different places, even amazon. Two to three coats will last a long time. Tung oil is a slow curing food safe oil extracted from the tung nut.

I add a very thick coat and let it saturate for 20-60 min. Wipe excess off and cure for 12-24 hrs. Then you can add another coat with the same process. More then three coats and the handle can feel more plastic than wood.

some people like tru-oil.

Pretty sure it’s either ho wood or magnolia
I believe ho wood is magnolia. ("Honoki" in Japanese, as far as I know, which is Magnolia hypoleuca. Quite possibly though, a handle labelled "Magnolia" might not be be made from Honoki but some other type of Magnolia instead.)

Applying mineral oil or teak oil should keep it in good condition, as will beeswax or any other type of penetrating soft wax. If you want to improve water repellency, follow up with a final coat of carnauba wax and then polish.

Ho wood is the ultimate in homely practicality: good feel and grippiness when wet but just super plain to homely looking.

I just apply mineral oil or homemade cutting board conditioner (beeswax melted into mineral oil)w it starts to look dry. You could use paste wax or car wax on it as well, just follow the directions on the can.

Back