Handle Makers - New Handles Too Smooth

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hickory. That's a bit stronger, but I much prefer the ash and it's holding up fine.

...when I grip my knives i feel like I barely have my hands on the handle. My ring finger and pinky are wrapped around the bolster, while my middle finger is in the riccaso area. The small part of my palm that touches the top of the handle inst really gripping the knife, just provides downward pressure.

100% this.

When the blade hits the cutting board in a pinch grip, the shock pivots at the fulcrum (in the pinch) and sends it back towards the handle where it gets dispersed in the reverse direction along the last three fingers. The last three fingers are working like a spring, pushing the handle up loosely towards the palm (acting as a ceiling) whenever more downwards pressure is needed along the cutting edge.

buRDo4T.jpg

To be fair, we're not holding it like this all the time. We need to change it up for different foods.

----------------------------------

I'm starting to get pretty damn good with a hammer during forging. Have you ever tried to bounce a deflated tennis ball back up to a decent height? A good hammer swing feels a lot like that - throwing directly down with speed and force. At the bottom of the swing you're on the verge of releasing the hammer, hardly holding onto the handle as it connects with the soft steel at full speed. The hot metal absorbs the impact and you feel it 'nope' the hell out of the way.

It's hilarious watching beginners, they have a terrible grip and stance. I shouldn't be mean though, we all gotta start somewhere.

maxresdefault.jpg

after sanding and clean up, i apply chinese lacquer thinned with thinner ( as an accelerant) roughly with cotton wool; A couple of coats. IF too rough, even it out with steel wool lightly.

tried the lacquer with acetone once .. no harm..

have fun z

Back