Handle making a clicking noise..

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pie

you.. you got any more of them rocks?
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
… when I push it left and right. This must mean it’s loose right? Of course it’s the only daily that I have out for use right now.

I can’t detect any actual movement when clicking around, so so far no impact on use, but I’m curious - is this something I need to fix right now? My guess is the handle needs to come off to solve the issue, but would any lasting damage be done if I just leave it until it gets bad?

Sounds like the handle is loose. I probably wouldn't bother until it fell off. And then chances are good that I would just continue using it with a loose handle for several more years. I assume you are talking about a wa handle? If it bothers you probably easiest to yank it off and then epoxy it back on for a permanent fix. Use the beeswax method if you want to be able to remove it in the future for rehandle or polishing.

Hold it vertically by the handle and give the bottom of the handle a few light taps with a hammer. This can re-seat it for a bit (it'll still work loose eventually).
If it's seated vertically but clicking because the ferrule slot is wider than the tang and so the knife is moving horizontally in the handle, you can pour (then work in with a toothpick) some melted beeswax in there to fill the gap once it hardens. Keep in mind that if you use beeswax you won't be able to us epoxy later since epoxy won't bite to the beeswax-coated wood.

👍👍 thanks for the advice! It’s the weird new generation mazaki handle so I won’t be sad to be rid of it, but not quite yet. the wobble’s gotta be from the most recent thinning/polish session, plenty more to come.

I’ll try the hammer process and see if it helps :)

I have same issues with my KS clone, but I didn’t get a chance to use and fix it yet, mine looks liked it glued in improperly.

Back