Handle Question

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
I have a no name, store bought santoku at home that I like.
It is probably a piece of junk, but to me it is comfortable and I use it often.

My question is about handles.
Are certain handle shapes better for different tasks? or it is what an individual finds more comfortable? or cosmetics?
(Remember, I am new in the world of kitchen knives, still a kitchen knifetard)

Most of what I am seeing here are either western style or octagon shaped handles. Looking in some of the Japanese knife stores I see the "D" shaped handles.

The handle on my knife is an oval cross section that graduates just a bit larger to the butt end. To me it feels good and looks good.

Oval or D-shaped handles are often the stock handles on Japanese knives and octogon handles are available as an upgrade for a fee. It all comes down to preferences what kind of handle you want on your knife.

Pics?

To me, the spine/choil area is really the handle part, because of how I hold the knife. It is generally accepted that a handle should taper, at least slightly, toward the butt. I'm partial to the D shaped wa handles, but they are right- or left-hand specific, so it's more popular to sell them in the universally appealing octagon.

Back