Handle size on small (210mm) wa-gyuto?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XooMG

Reaction score
I decided to satisfy a short-term itch by ordering a 210mm Itinomonn wa-gyuto. The Ho handle looks fine, but I'm really not a fan of the material, so I decided to inquire about a burnt chestnut replacement.

The one that I was directed to was 145mm, which is a bit bigger than the ~130mm that comes on the knife. My first thought was that it might look weird, but I don't know. Kind of ordered before I was awake enough to think about it.

Anyone here have a smaller gyuto with a similarly big handle? Just curious. What sizes do people like on their knives?

It's only 5mm....shouldn't make a difference. This one clocks in at 144:
RIMG0823.jpg

It's only 5mm....shouldn't make a difference. This one clocks in at 144:
View attachment 20525
Cheers, 15mm actually seems like a noticeable difference. Maxim said he'd try a few and see what fits best, but seeing the Kono with a 145-ish handle is reassuring, just in case.

I don't think it would be a problem. It may even push the balance point a bit backwards which could be nice. Most wa gyutos are front heavy for obvious reasons so a little extra weight in the back might work to your advantage.

Thanks for the help everyone...

It seems it turned out OK:
IyDMxhB.jpg

Pretty comfy, actually.

Back