Handle Stuck, Can’t remove

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adam92

Reaction score
I receive my new yanagiba today, however the handle was not installed correctly, I tried my wood stick with hammer but I can’t remove, I remove many glue & wood stuff from inside the handle, but is stuck right now, what else I can do ?
4CE98F99-D577-449B-87F2-44225F942E5B.jpeg
DEC75814-16D5-4F80-8AA9-4BE2A2540C39.jpeg

That is a crooked handle!

Heat usually loosens up most adhesives, beeswax, hot glue, even some epoxies. I have read some on here use toaster ovens, some use boiling water. I usually use the dry heat method in the toaster over. I set the heat at 250 F, and stick the handle in the oven, with the blade sticking out the side of the door. To protect the blade from scratches, i fold some thin cardboard around it (fed ex box cardboard works well) After about 15 minutes, the handle should knock loose pretty easily with your board and mallet.

Similarly, if you put the handle in a sturdy plastic bag and submerge it in boiling water for 15 minutes it will soften the glue.

Good luck!

I successfully removed a glued in handle by filling a mason jar with boiling water, putting the handle in a plastic bag, submerging the bag/handle in the hot water for a while (probably at least 10 minutes), and hammering it off with a wood stick and hammer.

Preheat your oven to 250 to 300°, put the knife in the oven for 5 to 10 minutes, then attempt to knock the handle off again. Be very careful use oven mitts and anything else you need to use in order to not burn yourself

This is one of the reasons that we should never use epoxy, we should only use mechanical fit beeswax or hot glue

After all of that if you still cannot remove the handle you’ll simply have to cut it off, you can use mechanical means and/or you can use a hand chisel and hammer

Preheat your oven to 250 to 300°, put the knife in the oven for 5 to 10 minutes, then attempt to knock the handle off again. Be very careful use oven mitts and anything else you need to use in order to not burn yourself

Just checking that you mean 250 to 300 degrees Fahrenheit. This is circa 120-150 Celsius.

250 to 300 Celsius would definitely over-temper the blade.

I gonna try set the oven to 100 Celsius. I think this time should be work, as I replace my last ebony handle with hot glue also using same method. I’ll update soon!

Buy or rent a cheap heat gun. This will work on any type of handle and epoxie.

finally remove the handle, I tried the oven but not working, at the end soak in hot water for around 10-15 minute, heeps of glue inside the handle 🥲🥲.
gonna install the Ebony handle soon.
My new Honyaki lefty yanagiba
white 3 steel, Abura honyaki.
Full mirror.

Yoshikazu Ikeda.
Sharperner Tosa.
83EDDDEF-0357-4924-82F7-5E090ED0852B.jpeg
3B9AD917-F08E-4444-AD55-95FA75EFDE92.jpeg
09A52292-E4A2-40B1-9D60-C01D1A55BF5D.jpeg

Back