Handles With All Hand Tools?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're planning for it to be round then a sanding belt is a really easy way to turn wood into a circle.

I've done a couple of handles with the only power tools being a handheld drill and a small mouse sander. It's definitely possible to do it. The nice thing with the slow work is that my mistakes tend to be smaller in magnitude. I found the tang hole to be the most challenging part. Shaping the rest by eye isn't too bad.

Here's what I've used: bench vise, sandpaper, needle files, handheld drill with bits, small block plane, rasp.

When I made my first handles they were all hand tool only, except for a power drill. That’s why I came up with the hidden dowel method maybe 10 years ago. I’d link to the thread but it was deleted and for whatever reason the Mods won’t restore it.
The hardest part of handle making is getting the slot for the tang made and central so that knife and handle are planar. Even slight wonkiness is noticeable in use.

A hand saw to cut to rough dimensions.

Some sandpaper spray mounted to something flat to lap the faces between ferrule and handle to get a clean joint - alternatively can be done with a shooting board and plane but has a longer learning curve. Saw straight with a fine saw and then sand. If you can’t saw straight then a shooting board may be needed sooner as sanding is only really for small adjustments.

A drill to start the tang hole- either matched to the tang size or matched to a dowel if taking that approach.
You then need to widen that hole to a slot. In the ferrule piece I like to use a fine fret saw to rough it in - then adjust with a broach and files. The broach can be fancy but I use a fine jigsaw blade glued into a handle and then ground to shape.

Some clamps to be able to hold everything aligned and tight during glue up.

a plane to smooth the handle and shape it. A no3 is a good size but you’ll probably find a block plane easier. Given the types of woods being used I’d get one that you can put a decent iron in. I’ve got a cheap Stanley that’s great on softwoods but dulls rapidly on handle type hardwoods. My Lie Nielsen though will shape a handle on a single sharpen.

you’ll also need layout tools - a good combination square is good, the 6” starrets are nice for handle making. A steel rule is useful for marking tapers etc and measuring lengths. Vernier callipers are good to get a measure on tangs, check drill bit sizes, and metal ones can be used to scribe parallel lines to reference off - eg an equal thickness either side of the tang slot.

A 0.5mm mechanical pencil is good for rough lines, and a small kiridashi or scalpel gives you precise marks to saw or plane to.

a good vice for workholding is handy or go traditional and use a Japanese planing board. If you go vice get something rigid to mount it to, the triton super jaws are surprisingly good for this sort of thing if you have a bit of space.

finishing is then sandpaper until you get good enough to finish off the plane.

Some of the tools are visible in the pic below.

E2027496-C0E0-460C-BA18-E5D0A225DEBB.jpeg

If I were to select one helpful real workshop tool for this type of project it would be a proper drill press for cutting tang holes in wa and for pin-holes in western handles. I've seen power drill attachments that have a plunge action, but they all look v crappy to me - so I've never tried one. Perhaps someone has had luck with one of those plunging things... But yeah - drilling straight can be a challenge and is critical.

Yeah, it's possible. I use a Hand plane and Hand drill for most of my handle build.
I cut all of my wood using a Japanese Ryoba and Dozuki. I have Kanna plane, Jack plane, Block plane and Smoothing plane for shaping the handle.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's possible. I use a Hand plane and Hand drill for most of my handle build.
I cut all of my wood using a Japanese Ryoba and Dozuki. I have Kanna plane, Jack plane, Block plane and Smoothing plane for shaping the handle.
How do you align your drill hole?

Is making Wa handles (of whatever shape) with nothing but hand tools fool's folly? Just for personal use, not for selling so time investment is fine.

Let's say no more power than a drill and Dremmel.

If you do think it isn't a semi-viable idea, what tools, jigs, etc. would you recommend?

i do all my handles this way.
cordless drill, saw, rasp, files, sandpaper.

Is making Wa handles (of whatever shape) with nothing but hand tools fool's folly? Just for personal use, not for selling so time investment is fine.

Let's say no more power than a drill and Dremmel.

If you do think it isn't a semi-viable idea, whs ?t tools, jigs, etc. would you recommend?
nym
What is are Wa handles ? Too many acronyms everywhere, everyday. What's wrong with the whole word?

Colton put out a book on making wa handle with hand tools. You can also look at his blog, but go ahead and spend a few bucks to support his trade.

Colton hand crafted wa handles

I'd forgotten about this recommendation until @Dr. T's post today about hand making handles.

Support extended and book ordered. :)

This cutesy little thing is a 101 size Stanley plane which I picked up about 6 months ago, and might as well have been custom designed for making knife handles. Along with a saw, sandpaper, and a vise/clamp, you be golden.

IMG-9644.JPG

IMG-9645.JPG

I haven't actually made a handle with it yet tbh, but maybe I'll sharpen the blade up a bit and give a go soon...

Got 2 more I just completed shaping. It's slow going with sandpaper, but the slow removal helps me maintain more precise dimensioning. My first WA handle took over 10hrs. These 2 still need a bit higher sanding, edges rounded off, and oiling, but should be done in a couple more hours. The process has become more efficient bringing my total time down to maybe 7hr for a handle, with plenty of room left for additional improvement.
PXL_20220713_212321288.jpg

PXL_20220713_221830294~2.jpg

PXL_20220716_152247581~2.jpg

Last edited:
With the help of a friendly mod this thread from 2011 has been restored. In it I posted my original how to, which was the result of a bit of experimentation and then a lightbulb moment for how to simplify the slot making process.

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/tang-slot.2244/
Seems to be the defacto method nowadays, but when I posted I’d never seen or heard of it before.

A small plane is what I was thinking too. I reckon if I did give it a try it'd be another thing to learn to sharpen. :)
I honestly think it would be pretty easy. And also save time with sanding, and etc. A plane can give such a great finish.

How big are the pieces you're starting with? Also what kind of bolster do you plan to use? I image the bolster will be the main thing to get in the way.

I honestly think it would be pretty easy. And also save time with sanding, and etc. A plane can give such a great finish.

How big are the pieces you're starting with? Also what kind of bolster do you plan to use? I image the bolster will be the main thing to get in the way.

No plan as of yet. Still in the pondering phase. 😁

FWIW this handle was shaped entirely by hand. 2 rasps, 3 files, height gauge, calipers, 2 tool rests (since I don't have 1-2-3 blocks), my benchtop and sandpaper.

Attachments

• DSC04755.JPG
    DSC04755.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC04756.JPG
    DSC04756.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC04762.JPG
    DSC04762.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC04763.JPG
    DSC04763.JPG