Hankotsu and honesuki

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Itsalright

Reaction score
I need both.
Queation is, which steel suits them better?
Swedish carbon? Vg10? Moly? Or AebL? Or maybe the x50crmov15?? Something else?
I do not think shirogami or aogami would do the job better but feel free to prove me wrong!

I break down anywhere from 14 to 40 cases of ducks and chickens a month and I use a moly honesuki. No complaints and it takes a beating (MAC pro 99/1 edge monosteel moly). For my particular usage this knife has been great. I know people will turn their noses up at MAC but this knife is a great beater with a good profile, F+F, and still getting years of use for $120.

I break down anywhere from 14 to 40 cases of ducks and chickens a month and I use a moly honesuki. No complaints and it takes a beating (MAC pro 99/1 edge monosteel moly). For my particular usage this knife has been great. I know people will turn their noses up at MAC but this knife is a great beater with a good profile, F+F, and still getting years of use for $120.
Worth taking a look.

It’s actually a MAC Japanese series (BON-60) not a Pro series, my apologies.

My favorite steel for boning knives is 15N20, it's tough and won't chip without serious abuse. That being said it's not stainless and it needs to be resharpened fairly often.

Any of the steels you listed would be fine, I'd probably steer clear of VG-10 for that purpose though.

My favorite steel for boning knives is 15N20, it's tough and won't chip without serious abuse. That being said it's not stainless and it needs to be resharpened fairly often.

Any of the steels you listed would be fine, I'd probably steer clear of VG-10 for that purpose though.
Why that?

VG-10 is a nice steel generally speaking, but it's not very tough. If you want a good chefs knife that has reasonable edge retention, can take a good edge and is stainless then vg-10 is the steel. But if you want something that can hit a bone without chipping then vg-10 is one of the last steels I'd pick.

VG-10 is a nice steel generally speaking, but it's not very tough. If you want a good chefs knife that has reasonable edge retention, can take a good edge and is stainless then vg-10 is the steel. But if you want something that can hit a bone without chipping then vg-10 is one of the last steels I'd pick.
Thank you

Misono's swedish carbon is pretty good. It's one of the easier steels to sharpen and maintain and fit and finish has been very good with everything ive bought so far (hankotsu, paring, gyuto). I've thought about getting a honesuki as well in the same series (one day I will probably end up with misono carbon for everything) but have been using an sk4 model (I cant even remember the brand). I do very limited butchery but I'd be pretty confident the misono would hold up well.

Moly or German steel holds up to hard use if you require something stainless but it won't get as sharp or sharpen as quickly as the misono. Moly/german steel is best kept toothier (like 600-1000 grit) whereas the misono has a pretty variable range

Misono's swedish carbon is pretty good. It's one of the easier steels to sharpen and maintain and fit and finish has been very good with everything ive bought so far (hankotsu, paring, gyuto). I've thought about getting a honesuki as well in the same series (one day I will probably end up with misono carbon for everything) but have been using an sk4 model (I cant even remember the brand). I do very limited butchery but I'd be pretty confident the misono would hold up well.

Moly or German steel holds up to hard use if you require something stainless but it won't get as sharp or sharpen as quickly as the misono. Moly/german steel is best kept toothier (like 600-1000 grit) whereas the misono has a pretty variable range
To be honest that was what i was thinking. Thanks

I have tried a 145 and 2x 160 honesuki and I tend to agree the larger sizes are a bit more comfortable. It doesnt seem like much difference but in hand it just felt more natural to me.

I have a Masahiro VC hankotsu and 2 different honesukis (Misono Swedish and Golden Deer). Size wise all are around 150mm, which I find comfortable. As for sharpening, the Misono sharpens easier than the Masahiro which sharpens easier than the Golden Deer. The Golden Deer can be purchased through Global Rakuten and costs about $40 with shipping from Japan. It has a HAP40 core with stainless cladding, and is a full tang construction. Initial sharpness goes away similar to vg10, but it holds at ~90% sharpness for a quite a while. On Fridays I usually break down around 130-150# of beef and a little less chicken. I strop in between uses, and the blade could probably go for about 2 weeks like this.

Latest posts

Back