*** happened?!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Preparing to "discount" it for the Black Friday sale?
Maksim hasn't been known to do this, so why do you say this. Maybe the nakiri is new stock with higher price. I've read a few month back that the prices of japanese knives were supposed to go up around the end of the year, maybe this is what is happening? I don't really know, just don't think we should jump to conclusions without knowing.

Maksim hasn't been known to do this, so why do you say this. Maybe the nakiri is new stock with higher price. I've read a few month back that the prices of japanese knives were supposed to go up around the end of the year, maybe this is what is happening? I don't really know, just don't think we should jump to conclusions without knowing.

I probably should've added in small print that my comment was tongue in cheek given the timing of being close to Black Friday. I don't know Maksim, I don't know the supply chain and I don't have a single clue as to why the knife is now nearly double in price. I've bought from Maksim several times and every transaction that I've had has been within expectations and have no complaints.

I probably should've added in small print that my comment was tongue in cheek given the timing of being close to Black Friday. I don't know Maksim, I don't know the supply chain and I don't have a single clue as to why the knife is now nearly double in price. I've bought from Maksim several times and every transaction that I've had has been within expectations and have no complaints.
It is funny in a way. This being internet though, you know how rumors start. Very easy to ruin someone's reputation without meaning to.

Yeah I don’t think it’s Maksim way to do business. Additionally, for a year I’ve roamed around there his prices just basically never change.

I’d rather think it’s an error than an increase of the cost. It doesn’t make sense for it to almost double. Also he’s restocked some other Toyamas and all prices are in line.

@maxim ?

Last edited:
I’ve got something from JNS I’ve had open and tempting me for weeks and I noticed a more modest price increase yesterday.

Retailers sometimes have to raise prices and there is rarely a graceful way to do it. With everything going on I’d be surprised if prices stayed the same or didn’t go up! Nothing shady happening here I think!

Hoping to hear news of a Black Friday sale so maybe I can finally justify to myself a splurge…

Yeah I'd get a 50$ more, but difficult to believe it doubled, especially when he restocked some with prices right where you expect them.

He definitely upped his prices.
Not sure about the Toyama Nakiri, if it's just a mistake but it should still be the same wich was listed one the website the day before.
He increased the price of a lot of Kaerus from one day to the other about 20€.
The Kaeru stainless 210 and 240 went up in price 40€ over the year. He upped it before and now again over night. The Kaeru Nakiri went from 134€ to 151€. I know that since I followed he prices as I tend to recommend it.

He definitely upped his prices.
Not sure about the Toyama Nakiri, if it's just a mistake but it should still be the same wich was listed one the website the day before.
He increased the price of a lot of Kaerus from one day to the other about 20€.
The Kaeru stainless 210 and 240 went up in price 40€ over the year. He upped it before and now again over night. The Kaeru Nakiri went from 134€ to 151€. I know that since I followed he prices as I tend to recommend it.
Could that be the foreign exchange rate? I didn’t follow the price of kaeru but I don’t think Maksim changes prices frequently.

Could that be the foreign exchange rate? I didn’t follow the price of kaeru but I don’t think Maksim changes prices frequently.
No.
While the value of the US-Dollar is rising heavily. The Danish Crown-Euro exchange rate didn't change too much and a difference of 20€ for a 134€ knives just because of exchange rates would be ridiculous and make the € doomed.

Kaeru prices are now higher. 17EUR on both stainless gyutos.

The yen to euro exchange rate has also been pretty consistently favorable all year.

Back