Hapstone and TSprof

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ucmd

Reaction score
Long time kkf member but I lurk a fair amount. I have an absurd collection of 270 mm gyutos and recently started buying pocket knives to add my collection.

I am thinking about buying knife shapening system for pocket knives listed about. I used water stones for kitchen knives.

Question: anybody here have experience with these systems for folders or kitchen knives or thoughts about just using stones for folders.
Is it tough to free hand pockets knives?
thanks

If you want at some point to perfectly even regrind pocket knives (and most likely you will), doing so by hand is a very delicate job and has absolutely no room for errors. It's nothing like kitchen knives. You are the only person who can tell how approachable this would be.

Hapstone has a system similar to Tsprof and one similar to Edge Pro. The first is better for pocket knives in general. The second is better for bigger knives.
I know that there are some accessories for convex edges, but that's not really an easy task. So you are mainly stuck with V bevels.

Thanks for advice. Would appreciate any other input.

Imo it's not difficult to sharpen pocketknives freehand. They're (maybe not everyone, I'm generalising) generally really thick on the edge bevels so they're "large" and easy to feel in the bevel angle. And lowering their factory angles makes them cut better anyway, so for use definately waterstones.

It's not about sharpening. That's not the real issue. Well, sort of.
Guys pay a lot more attention to everything. Have it perfectly centered, perfect shine, they talk about angles in absolute terms, they compare numbers and sooner or later, if you want to play in that area, you start to do the same. The pocket knife I use right now, I just fix in hand, but it's a different story with the ones I receive, because that's the game.
Also, some alloys are pretty much impossible to sharpen right or at all with the usual kit for kitchen knives.

I’m not squeamish about sharpening. Took class with broida years ago and been happy with edges since.
I agree with Kayman. The pocket knife world seems just a tad crazier. I am probably going to buy tsprof. You can sharper up to 250 mm knife which seems like largest capacity???

Rated at 200 or 250, depending on the model.
But things change a lot with the length and various geometries. It's much easier to keep everything under control with something Edge Pro like. On the other hand, for pocket knives it is gold.

Back