Harvest time

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm getting a half gallon of sun golds a day now, tried some salsa today, not bad.

web.jpg

web.jpg

I protected my peppers from frost the two nights it might have frosted last week, will do so again this week. Peppers are accelerating production of some of the later, hotter chilis. Plus more mild shishitos than I can use as fried peppers.

Last time I planted shishito, I ended up using them in place of bell peppers in a variant of Paul Prudhomme's creole sauce (which I also canned). Takes longer to dice up a few quarts compared to big, bland thick walled bell peppers but that batch was very tasty, made with ripe home grown tomatoes and fresh thyme.

20200909_210041.jpg

20200915_104130.jpg

20200915_170548.jpg

Last edited:
I've got the makings for EdWort's Apfelwein on hand, plus carboy, fermentation locks & etc. but that recipe starts out with commercial, clear apple juice as USA little children expect it to be. I need to figure out how to do a clear wine from cloudy home made juice... Reading about "fining" now.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Apfelwein

You should get some clarification with time/fermentation, beyond that isinglass and gelatin are both easy to use. Beyond that, it's a pump/filter apparatus.

Good luck with saffron. I planted once and the squirrels got every one ( or maybe it was a skunk) either way i didn't get any.😣
I grew it last year for the first time and had good luck. I have a fenced garden and a dedicated raised bed for these. They are a fun distraction. I did learn that 25 plants will get you enough for one meal. Going for 2 meals this year!

I grew it last year for the first time and had good luck. I have a fenced garden and a dedicated raised bed for these. They are a fun distraction. I did learn that 25 plants will get you enough for one meal. Going for 2 meals this year!
How long did it take to harvest the stigmas? Did you use tweezers? Damascus ones? Or your hands? Seems like a very tedious plant to grow and turn into edible. But I'm curious about it.

EDIT: Serious inquiry. I'm not trying to troll or poke fun of you.

Just made some Grape Jam this past weekend. I had about 5-6 lb of grapes from a single Concord Grape Vine that’s year 2 into bearing.

Unfortunately, the squirrels got to it just before harvesting. They raided everything except those that I protected in mesh bags, about 1.5 lb harvest which I made two jars of organic low sugar Grape Jam.
0E906FA7-3EEF-47B3-951A-CD26D9E9014E.jpeg
16541899-584F-48CA-AE6E-90D5F59CDE62.jpeg

Last edited:
How long did it take to harvest the stigmas? Did you use tweezers? Damascus ones? Or your hands? Seems like a very tedious plant to grow and turn into edible. But I'm curious about it.

EDIT: Serious inquiry. I'm not trying to troll or poke fun of you.
I harvested all over a 3 week period. They bloomed in mid December last year. Have to pick mid morning after the flower opens all the way. Tweezers work great. No Damascus tweezers, just stainless. I set them to dry on a small bowl in my kitchen then save them in a jar. The plant is only a few inches tall. I am traveling for work, but will post a picture when I get home tomorrow. It isn't too bad, not tedious. I mean, its December, so its the only thing I have to harvest then and certainly the only flower I have blooming at the time.

30/bushel? Thats amazing! A bushel is huge! ... It occurs to me that my definition of bushel might be biased because I buy bushels of apples. Still, I'm so jealous. They look so fresh.

I took a few more squash, there are probably at LEAST this many more left out in the garden for wildlife. Now that the green forage is going away, the deer are getting more interested in eating squash/pumpkins. The recent bear was quite full of squash/pumpkin too. Chickens enjoy some as well, gives them summer-y dark yellow egg yolks in winter when they munch squash.

20201013_195642.jpg

20201013_204222.jpg

Last edited:
Back