Has anyone rehandled a CCK cleaver/ vegetable knife before

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ynot1985

Reaction score
Just picked up 2 CKK knives recently and I must admit, I'm not a big fan of the handle.. has anyone ever rehandled one before?

Just picked up 2 CKK knives recently and I must admit, I'm not a big fan of the handle.. has anyone ever rehandled one before?

There have been a few through here I believe over the years that looked great and a vendor that used to sell new ones rehandled on line.
I have an 1102 and a handle that I have been meaning to pop on. A much longer octagon that looks great. But I swear that the stock handle keeps me second guessing my plan. Try some 400 then 800 wet/dry paper on the stock handle and give it some olive oil and you might be surprised by the feel afterwards.

I originally had plans to replace mine as well...I can't anything that would be an improvement...I use mineral oil.

I had this same question too, but I just winged it. It was pretty easy

ojdsas.jpg

The handle is fitted into place and the back end is bent to keep it together. With a hacksaw cut through the wood and metal tang.

2pyvkn6.jpg

Use a little wedge and mallet to bang off the handle and bolster

iqxxd1.jpg

Where you make the cut will determine how long the tang will be, I should have done mine shorter.
Also keep in mind the tang has a big flare, starting thick and getting thin quickly. I imagine there will be some variance here so either file the tang to fit the hole or vice versa. The steel on the tang is pretty soft (at least towards the end)

2z4fdi9.jpg

Mount as you would any wa handle. With a little heat and epoxy to seal the gaps.

Feel free to ask me any questions

Danzo this is excellent, completely transformed the CCK. What a fantastic job

One thing to keep in mind is that a long handle makes the cleaver look goofy. I took off about an inch off the tail end of the handle after it was all said and done. Pic is after the cut

One thing to keep in mind is that a long handle makes the cleaver look goofy. I took off about an inch off the tail end of the handle after it was all said and done. Pic is after the cut

It's a balance thing and how you hold your pinch will determine how long the handle can be I suppose, like any other knife. But I think the Chuka could get unwieldy pretty fast, where as a Gyuto could probably survive. Boy, that was a mouthful. Löl.
More importantly, your mod looks great and I bet it feels like a higher-end knife now.
That sure is a lot of meat on the tang. Did you take much off at the bolster area to fit the hole??

That's cool! I wish to custom a handle for my Sugimoto #7.

Agree with that. I once bought a cleaver with a thin wa handle after using CCK's at work for many years. It felt totally unnatural compared to the short barrel handles. You did a nice job not too thin & I'm sure better after you cut off an inch.

And it can dig into the end of your sleeves!

Some cool things going on here with CCK rehandles. Just one thing to note, the longer Wa handles look to work really well for thinner CCK like the 1301/2/3 range. It's unlikely that a hi arch chopping motion is needed on such a thin blade. Also, if you use the "peace sign" finger grip then longer walk handles will work too.

For the heavier bone choppers and heel choppers, a shorter handle (Wa or barrel) might be preferred to allow full freedom in the wrist.

Qudos to those trying out the rehandles. They look damn good!

Back