Has anyone used this budget 1k/3k Naniwa?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have not used it, but heard quite some feedback. It should be a pretty decent stone especially for carbon steel blades. It may not be the best choice for steels with higher abrasion resistance. It is smaller then most stones. It is an entry stone when on budget.

But if you are looking for a stone that will be used on common stainless steel knives, than I would tend towards some 400 & 1000 stones as that would be a more practical grit range. Say something like a Shapton Pro 320 and 1000 or something from Bester or such.

It's a good cheap stone worth recommending but a little too small IMO. Having said that, perhaps too small for a beginner as it's easier learning on a larger stone. It's not as good as the Chosera range but okay for travelling or when space is tight. The second link posted by @Yet-Another-Dave above is a full size version. I haven't used it but I'd still choose it over its little brother.

Edit: I'd take heed of @osakajoe's advice below.

Last edited:
Own one from a very long time ago. Never use it.

Does okay with some carbon steels like sk or blue 2. Not very good on stain resistant steels.

I wouldn’t recommend it unless you’re on a very tight budget and only sharpening santoku or smaller knives.

used to use it quite a fair bit long time ago till i preferred a fast cutting stone at the respective grit. This a very functional stone and gets the job done . The 3k portion does smoothen and shine the edge and a better cut than the 1k. I may be wrong, on some VG10 steels, the cutting edge is not "respectable" on a 1k grit. On some brands... very acceptable.

Length does matter... for some depending on yr strokes, the same part travels slightly more on the stone and thus more steel removal and more efficient. If you dont use the whole face of teh stone effectively ( end to end of stone), then its the same as using a shorter stone. Thus a shorter stone does not make a difference to some. Shorter strokes does seem to give more consistent angle control and faster cutting when sharpening part by part of the knife for serious steel removal followed by long strokes to even it out

I have stones thats very long... 270mm and its fun for the 270mm and above long knives. I have also used smaller than usual stones and irregular and odd shapes for natural stones (kopas) for testing the edge it gives . still very manageable. However, my preference is always for a wider stone. Length is secondary in my case.. as the wld say... its not the length.. but the girth (width)

hope it helps..

have a nice week end.... Z

Back