Has Takamura jumped the shark?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oval99

Reaction score
I mean c'mon, now MARTHA is using this stuff? What's next, Matt Lauer "cutting" with these on some cheesy cooking segment on the Today Show? You know, right before the "sweet news about chocolate" and how it's good for you. Barf alert :lol2:

14590991_362512560757219_1310328070275596288_n.jpg

@daveb so are you not thinking much of her as a chef, or disregarding her as a chef and concentrating on character?

I thought in cooking, everyone either has a shady past or do their best to pretend they do :)

Takamura has tons of celebrity chef endorsements, Gordon Ramsay did a collab with them several years ago, the vg10 blade now retails at 800+ so I will never own one. Rene of Noma, Massimo Bottura has endorsed them, along with numerous other amazing cooks, Fock for what it's worth I am 95% sure Larousse gastronomique has a martha stewart endorsement, as much as I dislike martha she has as much influence on modern cooking as people like julia child and ramsey, especially the 50 year old house wife segment. Also FWIW Takamura is still arguably one of the top three stainless blades japan produces, if not the top producer period.

Which Takamura VG10 is $800? Both the Synergy and the normal VG10 sanmai go for well under €200 for an 8 inch gyuto...

Getting a Martha Stewart endorsement means quite a bit, I've had several friends who had their lives greatly enriched by their work being highlighted in their American made initiative. Also, Martha Stewart is a bit of a knife collector among all the other beautiful kitchen things she collects. Also, if you're condemning someone because of lying about their stock trading practices, you must hate most of the ruling class in this country, which is another topic of discussion entirely, but one that would surely include why some continue to condemn folks who have done their time. I'm not a huge Martha Stewart fan but the amount of work and research that goes into even just the articles her company does easily trumps what I can see in this thread. Also, that takamura r2 is a badass knife, I like my 270 gyuto. She has good taste.

I really like my takamura uchigumori blade. I wish i knew how to re-do the Damascus etch if/when i need to thin it.
Agreed Martha has pretty good taste considering what she would want the blade for.
1. Stainless, a lot of acidic food with out continuously wiping blade
2. Fantastic edge / Grind / handle etc.
3. Easily and readily available to the majority of people. eg. a Tanaka R2 yo handle 240mm, good luck or if you have the best luck a Hattori KD
she will only show she likes a knife that has all those attributes and can be purchased by the public.
some google searching if found at least (MTC, Knifewear, japanesefinekitchenknives, alambika, chefarmoury, kinknives, thebestthings, cutboy, japanmesser, kataba, skarpekniver, japansemessen ... Etc.)
All that being said, i would have a really hard time deciding between a teruyasu Denka 240 gyuto or a takamuar uchigumori 240 Gyuto.

Personally, I'd evaluate every knife on its merits and detailed user feedback. Celebrity endorsements don't really play into it either way.

I did not mean to disparage the knife in any way. Saw the she-whore come up on my mobile in between tasks and launched. To me she epitomizes everything wrong with a two-tiered justice system. Going to have to mod myself if I get on the full platform so I'll close with Martha puts the "u" in can't.

And what are the three top stainless makers in Japan?

Dave, we may disagree but I'd say everything (well one of my biggest issues) wrong with our justice system is when people get disproportionately punished for a crime rather than get off easy. Also, all your insults about Martha are tinged with gender, it's messed up.

I'd say Suisin, Asai, and Yoshikane, Takamura, and also whoever makes kagekiyo knives. Like Tanaka and Kono ginsan a lot too. Never used a ryusen.

I like my Takamura Uchi. Ambivalent towards Martha.

TBH im more worried about the state of affairs in the US and abroad. Thats a different subject tho :)

.... so I'll close with Martha puts the "u" in can't.

And what are the three top stainless makers in Japan?

Haaaaaaa! That's really funny. +1 Internets to you today, good sir.

I'm quite fond of my Takamuras as well. Currently own 24cm pro Gyuto and 24cm Hana sujihiki with another custom on order from them ~sometime~. They cut amazingly and stand up to a surprising amount of abuse and as long as you sharpen them properly they'll continue to cut like a laser. I'm also partial to them as I'm in NY and I try to see them at the MTC showroom when they come in October.

it would be awesome if Martha went for Shigefusa instead. afterall, there aren't nearly enough people fighting over the few exported as it is.

Back