hasegawa FSR vs hasegawa FSB?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
deciding between these two boards and i have no idea what the difference is - someone help me out? same price.

Brown is harder, more durable. Slightly worse to the edges, but doesn’t score as easily and will last longer.

and from what i've read (not 100% sure), FSR and FRK are the same (soft rubber vs brown FSB which is a firmer polyethylene) except a different color and come in different size ranges. is that right?

i have hi-soft boards (soft rubber). probably much more similar to FSR/FRK than FSB. i enjoy the board feel a lot. but never let anyone use serrated knives on soft rubber boards. chews them up right away. you can see it after even one or two draws across the board. leaves visible marks.

if i ever buy another board, i'll probably stick with soft rubber. it's all personal taste though.

I own a Hasegawa FSB and can’t recommend it enough. Soft but not too soft, and has a nice “texture” to the surface that keeps product in place. Also bonus points for the extremely satisfying sound it makes while chopping.

I chose the FSB and very happy with it. My understanding is that the softer boards discolor easily and do not last as long but are easier on the edge. So far, the FSB has not stained and is easy to clean.

In my opinion, the polyethylene (brown) is likely a better allround board.

The rubber board is a very nice board for fine slicing (e.g a meat of fish station). It is a bit too grippy or 'sticky' for dominant blade contact. For example, if you like to guillotine and glide, it is probably not a great choice. I have a rubber board and am mildly disappointed with it (for this reason). I find the surface hardness and coefficient of friction displeasing.

I prefer my Asahi board to the hasegawa rubber. I believe the Asahi feels closer to the hasegawa polyethylene. After several years in the kitchen, the Asahi has warped a little (and it is prone to staining). My long term plan is to replace it with a hasegawa polyethylene.

FSB is durable but slippery and harder. A nice PE board but still PE. FSR is softer and better for your edge, but stains easily and needs hot water to clean up fat on it. I chose FSR.

what are the preferred vendors for hasegawa in the US? any to look out for besides MTC?

MTC have the best selection of sizes. They carry the smaller FSB boards which are better suited to the home environment IMO. Another vendor is K&S and they sell some limited sizes from their East Coast business. Wait for an MTC discount and you'll get the best deal in the US and offset some of the higher shipping charges.

Wait for an MTC discount and you'll get the best deal in the US and offset some of the higher shipping charges.

would you guess that some hypothetical future discount is better than their 20% off "welcome offer" you get when joining their marketing list?

would you guess that some hypothetical future discount is better than their 20% off "welcome offer" you get when joining their marketing list?
I wouldn't hold by breath. 20% is a good discount and covers the $15 shipping charge and then some.

Back