Hattori experts? Could these be?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brooksie967

No more Ashi
Reaction score
Good evening kkf!

My father in law had these knives for an unknown number of years and almost sold them at a garage sale for a few $ each. Seeing them, after longing after Hattori cowry x hunters/tantos I had to take them off his hands! Yes I paid him for them...

As seen on boxes these are from "coast knives" from Portland Oregon. The only markings on the knives are 440 stainless steel and Taiwan.

The grip, brass on each end of the handle, are very high quality and look identical to the tantos I've found pictures of online (google). Even the case looks identical but mine have some kind of kanji pressed into the material .

Reading the Hattori collector site I've noticed that 440 stainless in Hattori terms could mean anything from aus-6 to aus-8 depending on the maker of the knife.

"No one seems to be sure which “440” it really was, many suggesting and perhaps hoping that it is 440C. But in those days “440” could mean alot of things.(Back then SOG used “440A” to mean Aus6A, and Browning used “440” to mean Aus8A)"

"Winchester had Hattori OEM at least three models two of which were numbered . They were made with Aus8 but marked 440 Stainless as was customary at the time."

Anyone want to chime in and confirm that these are Hattori or crush my hopes and dreams and find proof that they're not?
IMG_20221116_194032.jpg
IMG_20221116_194106.jpg
IMG_20221116_194206.jpg
IMG_20221116_194211.jpg
IMG_20221116_194234.jpg
IMG_20221116_194243.jpg
IMG_20221116_194145.jpg
IMG_20221116_194157.jpg

I immediately thought Cold Steel.

I don't know Hattori but Cold Steel has other makers produce their knives and then put their name on them. My guess is these are out of that same plant. Don't take my word for it but I suspect they are just budget offerings.

I immediately thought Cold Steel.

I don't know Hattori but Cold Steel has other makers produce their knives and then put their name on them. My guess is these are out of that same plant. Don't take my word for it but I suspect they are just budget offerings.

Cold steel was another company that worked with Hattori!

Yours were made in Taiwan. The eBay twin was made in Japan.
The link @M1k3 posted above discussed production timelines in Japan vs Taiwan.

Yes and no. Lots of carbides but mostly chromium carbides. If it's ni-mai construction, it shouldn't be that horrible. Obviously not as easy at White steels though.
It's gonna be huge problem to maintain the finish tho, iron cladded carbon is much easier to bring out the kasumi, even stainless cladded carbon are not as responsive on natural. Especially if Hattori use 440 grade for cladding like his double bevels.

I’m quite interested Venev, but their double sided stone seems to have really close grit on each site, is their grit rating different?
Yes, different grit rating system than Japanese stones, FEPA-F. Gritomatic has a nice grit comparison chart.

Back