Have Shapton 1k, 5k. Do i need an 8k?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coffeelover191919

Reaction score
My knives: brand new Yoshihiro AS 210 Gyuto, Aritsugu Blue 150 Petty, Masamoto SW 240mm (rarely use, will do so when i'm better at sharpening)

I can get a dull knife to cut paper held in my left hand with my shapton 1k + 5k. The above 3 knives are in 95-100% new condition. Would an 8k be good for daily/weekly maintenance / honing?
Would there be any difference in just honing with the 5k vs the 8k?

i have some leather in the mail and wood to make a strop, so theres that.

You don't need the 8K. If you add a yanagiba to you kit you may reconsider something higher than 5k.

But I do like the SP2000 in that lineup. The SP1000 hits a little lower, the SP2000 hits a little higher. Together they do a great job on gyuto, petty.

I've only sharpened like 10 knives in my life (the first 7 were mediocre jobs) , can you explain to me what a 2000 would add to a current set of 1000 / 5000 ?

For a gyuto, friends/family knife, house knife, I use the SP1000 then the SP2000 and I'm done. The SP2000 leaves them nicely finished. It's a perfect combo for your friends Shun. The SP5000 doesn't add anything to most knives.

Shapton Pro 1000 is more of a 600-800 stone. Not really needed most of the time and some other things to consider, unless you need it for specific jobs or are just highly impacient.
Most people enjoy the 2000. Some the 1500. For example, right now I took the middle road and replaced them both with the 1500. This is if you want Shapton and Shapton Pro alone.

Shapton Pro 5000 is really not a favourite for any touch ups, the 8000 even less. I could name at least a few stones I would rather pick before them. And I'm in general a higher grit user.

need? hmm thats a new unknown word for me :)

no one really needs more than 1 stone. i just counted my stones. i seems i have 28 of them. didn't really need most of them to be honest. but its quite nice to have them. i sold off or gave away 10-15 or so.

i have tried a few different 8k stones and the shapton pro is my fav (so thats the one i kept). the 8k pro is a really good stone. my favorite high grit stone that i have tried. it just feels really nice. and it dont clog as fast as 12k's. the shapton pro 8k is also very fast, much much faster than one might first think. its pretty seamless after a 1k.

melon super.... :cool:

For a gyuto, friends/family knife, house knife, I use the SP1000 then the SP2000 and I'm done. The SP2000 leaves them nicely finished. It's a perfect combo for your friends Shun. The SP5000 doesn't add anything to most knives.

this combo is inferno approved!

i use this combo for almost all customer knives. one coarse, one fine. done.
mine seems to be permanently attached to each other somehow.

shapton1k2kcombo.JPG

Honestly I feel like the 1,000 is too low for just sharpening a white steel. I’m going to invest in the 2K and combine it with my suehero 5k. Blue steel and sg2 work okay for the 1,000 but the white steel it works too fast and makes me nervous in case I roll the edge.

no steel work ok with the 1k imo. its a saw. a fine saw, but its still a saw. 2k then we start talking. at 3k its good enough for personal use and at 4k its as good as its gonna get practically. above 4k is for carbon only, usually, imo. i like my 8 and 12k though. 👹 not gonna give them up.

so i've been sharpening Wusthofs and Shun VGMax knives with my Shapton 1k. Comes out ok. Then i go to 5k.

Would it have been more beneficial to spend 10 minutes on a Shapton 2k stone after the 1k? Aren't they too close?

Would it have been more beneficial to spend 10 minutes on a Shapton 2k stone after the 1k? Aren't they too close?
It makes a difference, that’s for sure. One shouldn’t be too hung up on those grit numbers (they tend to differ between brands).
But 10 minutes after the 1k stone sounds like a lot. You don’t need to raise a burr again on the 2k stone. A few strokes on each side should be enough to refine the edge.

No. No you don't.

Unless you want to shave with the knives. Then you should probably get an 8k, 12k and sub-micron diamond compounds for stropping.

I have a Naniwa Junpaku 8k 'Snow-white'. Just for fun with very simple carbons. Got it for little money. Otherwise, no need for such a refinement with double bevelled blades that have board contact.

Honestly I feel like the 1,000 is too low for just sharpening a white steel. I’m going to invest in the 2K and combine it with my suehero 5k. Blue steel and sg2 work okay for the 1,000 but the white steel it works too fast and makes me nervous in case I roll the edge.
no steel work ok with the 1k imo. its a saw. a fine saw, but its still a saw. 2k then we start talking. at 3k its good enough for personal use and at 4k its as good as its gonna get practically. above 4k is for carbon only, usually, imo. i like my 8 and 12k though. 👹 not gonna give them up.

The SP1000 will raise a burr in less time than it takes to type this - even on abrasion resistant Germans. Great for OP (other people) knives. My usual regimen for my own knives is Gesshin 2K then G4K or G6K. If I need to "downshift" to get a burr going I'll grab the SP1000 for a minute.

I only take hiromoto white2 honyaki to 1k

The SP1000 will raise a burr in less time than it takes to type this - even on abrasion resistant Germans. Great for OP (other people) knives. My usual regimen for my own knives is Gesshin 2K then G4K or G6K. If I need to "downshift" to get a burr going I'll grab the SP1000 for a minute.
Thats why I like SP1000 its super fast and not unpleasant to use. And its SnG -ready when you need it.

Messermeister/F. Dick > Wusthof non-Pro > Vnox > kiwi > calphalon > Mercer (they're Chef Coats are pretty good for how cheap they are though).

Change my mind.

Got a lot of people telling 5k is useless on kitchen knives. I plan to sharpen my new Yoshihiro AS 210 gyuto in a couple of weeks after some usage. What would people progress to after raising a burr on both sides with the Shapton 1000? You don't know how many recommendations for a 1k + 5k stone I got from reading here and on reddit. They said to just use the 5k and a strop to maintain sharpness in between sharpenings

5K is not useless, but it can be excessive. If shopping stones, I would not advise buying a 5K up front. But if you already have one, no sense in not using it. Adding a SP2000 would be a useful addition to your lineup.

Latest posts

Back