Have Shapton 1k, 5k. Do i need an 8k?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Received my SP2k and ran a few stainless knives through it: a victorinox, then a MAC, then a Ginga.

I would not have guessed that it could put on such a capable edge and feel so nice from simply interpolating between SP1k and SP5k. Gonna finish all stainless blades on it for a few months and see how it goes!

What do you use them for? I can't imagine them being particularly useful for kitchen knives.

they are for special occasions.

i have found that well they make things sharper than 4 that is my regular stopping point. some carbons start hesitating on tomatos on the 8k though. but that goes away at 12k.

took a yoshikane semi ss to 12k too. its was really nice. felt dangerous to handle but still nice.

Received my SP2k and ran a few stainless knives through it: a victorinox, then a MAC, then a Ginga.

I would not have guessed that it could put on such a capable edge and feel so nice from simply interpolating between SP1k and SP5k. Gonna finish all stainless blades on it for a few months and see how it goes!

welcome to the club.

had a talk with one of my coworkers the other day about stones and knives and he told me he put some 1k edges on a few knives but he just dont get it. a 3k or 5k edge will cut everything a 1k will, but better.

and i kinda agree. so whats the f-ing point really?

@inferno Does the bite come back at 12k? Or is it something else that Does it?

i dont know. all i know its that the blades stop "hesitating" on bell peppers, chilis, tomatos etc.

you know when the knife moves maybe 1-10mm and then slides right through, i see that on the 8k shappro. but on the 12k its gone again. and below 8k like the glass 6k and 4k, there is none, 0, hesitation. just like the 12k.

i have no good explanation but i have made this observation.

i dont know. all i know its that the blades stop "hesitating" on bell peppers, chilis, tomatos etc.

you know when the knife moves maybe 1-10mm and then slides right through, i see that on the 8k shappro. but on the 12k its gone again. and below 8k like the glass 6k and 4k, there is none, 0, hesitation. just like the 12k.

i have no good explanation but i have made this observation.
Cool! That’s interesting. When you’ve observed this, have you gone from 8k to 12k or have you used another progression? 👍🏻

Guess I am one of the few people who take their knives to the absolute limit when it comes to sharpening. The crazy sharpness is absolutely addictive, but more importantly, I sharpen only on higher grits to conserve more metal compared to a coarser stone.

Used to sharpen up to a 3k when I started out, but quickly realised the secondary bevel forming extremely quickly and needed to be thinned more often. When I switched to higher grits on my later knives, they never experienced this problem.

An 8k isn't needed, I'm not saying dont get one if you want one but I'd only get the higher grits if you find a good deal or the rest of your kit is full. I have stones to 16k but I stop at 3-5k on everything and only bring out the higher grits if I'm finishing up bevel work. Sharpening and stopping properly will give you a great edge.

Guess I am one of the few people who take their knives to the absolute limit when it comes to sharpening. The crazy sharpness is absolutely addictive, but more importantly, I sharpen only on higher grits to conserve more metal compared to a coarser stone.

Used to sharpen up to a 3k when I started out, but quickly realised the secondary bevel forming extremely quickly and needed to be thinned more often. When I switched to higher grits on my later knives, they never experienced this problem.
What do you consider to be "the absolute limit" here? Also, what's your experience here between smooth edges and toothy edged? Any skipping on tomato skin?
I'm interested in people's opinions on high grit stones for kitchen knives. Since most people seem to be in the 3-5k camp here, a different opinion is always nice to hear.

Some time ago there was a test done and proved that even with softer alloy, high grit edges do improve retention by a good amount.
That skipping on tomatoes skin associated by default is just a myth, really. Thing was, though, as with every similar test, it just took a good amount of work and very little room for errors. So, while possible, most likely it's not something most people are willing to do. Thus, a lower sweet spot, easier to reach and maintain.

What do you consider to be "the absolute limit" here? Also, what's your experience here between smooth edges and toothy edged? Any skipping on tomato skin?
I'm interested in people's opinions on high grit stones for kitchen knives. Since most people seem to be in the 3-5k camp here, a different opinion is always nice to hear.
I use natural stones after 1k so absolute limit is as fine a stone I get which at this point is what I assume is equivalent to 16-18k grit synthetic. No problems with tomatoes or waxy foods.

But I do have to preface this, I thin the knife once to set a good angle and bevel first to make it easy to sharpen thereafter. If you don't do this, it just does not work.

@kayman67 That’s interesting! What study are you refering to? Sounds like a good read.
Not sure I can still find it or even if it's possible. Has been a while.
But such debates were rather normal within the pocket knife community and I guess lately (again, "lately" means a few years) the consensus was that the technique and the nature of the abrasive were more important than the grit itself.
From my testing routines, I always found it easier to get a shaving edge, even at very low grits, with a diamond plate, than a similar SiC stone. This reminds me. I stumbled upon the CBN testing last year again. I will try to find that as well.

@kayman67 Thanks a lot! That would be great (if it’s not too bothersome). I wouldn’t be surprised if it had to do with technique and consistency as so much else in this world. I struggle to find any use for my rika 5k and sg 8k since the edges don’t have enough bite for my taste, or because they don’t hold up well. But, as said, it wouldn’t surprise me if that estimation has to do with my technique. 😁

Well, about consistency at least, there's a topic around here as well. I'll try to find that a bit later. Because what that fixed system did was in fact to prove that consistency and pressure play a huge part, while going as high as possible not being the real issue. If I remember right, a couple of guys here experienced a significant improvement in usage and maintenance routine change accordingly.

Well, about consistency at least, there's a topic around here as well. I'll try to find that a bit later. Because what that fixed system did was in fact to prove that consistency and pressure play a huge part, while going as high as possible not being the real issue. If I remember right, a couple of guys here experienced a significant improvement in usage and maintenance routine change accordingly.
I'm interested in those tests.

Are you talking about the thread that @suntravel showed the fancy jig?

Yes, yes, those, but I remember very well a post about a chef's experience that I just can't find exactly. I'm not sure if it was in them or another thread, but regarding the same system and the use of some very high grit stones. I've been searching a bit, but no luck.

Back