Have Shapton 1k, 5k. Do i need an 8k?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the easiest solution is to simply have all grits at hand. because sooner or later you gonna need that 8k or 12k or 4k. or 6k. and then its much better to already have them, than have to buy them. pro tip!

That's a great find. Didn't know about it. It's before my time here.
TLDR: Couple of members who are no longer on the forums (Suntravel and Sharpchef, both from Germany IIRC) were very keen on the Bogdan system. Believed that being able to control pressure with fine stones was crucial to extended edge retention. Could be right. Doesn't really matter much to me in home use. My knife dulls -》 I sharpen it. Maybe useful in a pro environment if true, though. Out of interest, one day I may get a hold of one to try for myself. Actually I will probably never find the time....

I guess something I know nothing about, got out of control.

Indeed it is well praised in the German community, but the bigger pool of knowledge would be in Russian.

TLDR: Couple of members who are no longer on the forums (Suntravel and Sharpchef, both from Germany IIRC) were very keen on the Bogdan system. Believed that being able to control pressure with fine stones was crucial to extended edge retention. Could be right. Doesn't really matter much to me in home use. My knife dulls -》 I sharpen it. Maybe useful in a pro environment if true, though. Out of interest, one day I may get a hold of one to try for myself. Actually I will probably never find the time....
Was always wondering about that very precisely polished and deburred edge being maintained with the Dick Micro, where according to those guys the exact angle didn't matter.

So i've received some feedback that the shapton 2k would be good to accompany my Shapton 1k, 5k, and leather strop (bare and green compound). What do you guys think?

So i've received some feedback that the shapton 2k would be good to accompany my Shapton 1k, 5k, and leather strop (bare and green compound). What do you guys think?

You've gotten that feedback here among other places. A search will provide more of the same. We agree with ourselves.

Skip the 2K, feels kind of redundant if you already have 1K. Instead of 5K get a 4K SG.

not in the entire German community, even if some advocates of the Bogdan system suggest this impression.

i had to look up the bogdan system on youtube. it appears i would be able to sharpen several knives on regular stones hand held before that thing is even setup. :eek:

i think this is the main problem with all guided systems. the setup time is so long so you are usually already done with stones when you start sharpening on the systems. its the same with the tormek too imo.

Knowing it might not do much I will still always finish on a 5k 😂

Back