Heads Up - Matfer Bourgeat 9.5" Black Steel Pan

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HumbleHomeCook

Embrace your knifesculinity!
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love my Matfer Bourgeat carbon steel pans. A friend asked me about them and I told him I'd send some links. So, I was looking at them on Amazon.

I don't know why, but as of right now, the 8 5/8" is $53 and the 10 1/4" is $54. But, the 9 1/2" is only $36. That's an excellent price and you can bet your backside I ordered one.

Last edited:
I love my Matfer Bourgeat carbon steel pans. A friend asked me about them and I told him I'd send some links. So, I was looking at them on Amazon.

I don't know why, but as of right now, the 8 5/8" is $53 and the 10 1/4" is $54. But, the 9 1/" is only $36. That's an excellent price and you can bet your backside I ordered one.
I just went looking. I couldn’t find it. Thanks for sharing. I guess I missed it.
If you can still see it, can you post a link?

I have a 7 inch I use for an egg pan. I can cook 1 or 2 fried eggs in it. It has turned into a great non-stick pan. Sounds like a good price.

Got one just now. Thanks for the link!

I own a 14 inch Matfer and it's probably my most used pan. Once they're up and running from a seasoning perspective, carbon pans are tough to beat. I did a steak (porterhouse) searing contest with my matfer and my lodge 12 inch a few months ago. The carbon beat the cast iron hands down. It wasn't even close.

Edit: these can also be had on the cheap from webrestaurantstore, but that place will **** you on the shipping.

OK, I don't need it but I ordered one. We will have to figure out what to do with all these pans.

I just ordered an All-Clad roasting pan on eBay. In the last 3 months I have ordered 9 pans. This downsizing is costing me. Actually our old roasting pan wore out as it started rusting badly.

Last edited:
Got this 11 3/4 in for about $54 back in December. Used the potato method ×3 and turned out like this after a few uses. The potatoes I had were on the smaller side so ended up using 3-4 potato peels per rotation to ensure the pan was fully covered.

Attachments

• 20210109_083519.jpg
    20210109_083519.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 34
I was pretty sure I got a good deal when I bought the 12 5/8 one back in 2017, but couldn't recall exactly what I paid. The price of it now is hovering around $100.

I dug thru my order history and see that I got it for $46

I still went ahead and bought the 9 1/2 just now, because I'd like to have a lighter pan for toss sautéing, which this will allow for far easier.

Thank you for sharing the deal! I didn't notice any comment about them having only a limited few left.

Screen Shot 2021-02-15 at 1.40.00 AM.jpeg

I was pretty sure I got a good deal when I bought the 12 5/8 one back in 2017, but couldn't recall exactly what I paid. The price of it now is hovering around $100.

I dug thru my order history and see that I got it for $46

I still went ahead and bought the 9 1/2 just now, because I'd like to have a lighter pan for toss sautéing, which this will allow for far easier.

Thank you for sharing the deal! I didn't notice any comment about them having only a limited few left.

View attachment 114361

Yeah my 12 5/8 was around $45 when I got it as well. Prices have indeed been climbing but I think you can still find them for about $60 if you look around. Knife Merchant has them for $65 and the 9 1/2" for $50.

At the bottom of the description it reads "New (XX) from..." That was "New (12) from..." and is now "New (3) from..." but that three is actually 2 at $36 and the other is $59.

I have a 12 inch I am finding too big for 2 with covid going on. I also have a 7 inch which works well for eggs for 2 but it is a little small for sauces for 2. So, I hope to find a use for a 9.5-inch pan.

I have a 12 inch I am finding too big for 2 with covid going on. I also have a 7 inch which works well for eggs for 2 but it is a little small for sauces for 2. So, I hope to find a use for a 9.5-inch pan.

Cooking mainly for the wife and I, I get a lot of mileage out of my 10 1/4" and am frequently reaching for another one that I don't have. I think this 9 1/2" will fit into that role nicely.

I just replaced my old Mauviel carbon pan because I warped it on my new induction range.
I went with an even less expensive option, Ballarini, which is an Italian manufacturer owned by Zwilling.
I like that the handle is welded on so no rivet and also no wax coating to wash off.
https://www.zwilling.com/us/ballari...n-steel-frying-pan-75000-890/75000-890-0.html
I scored the 11.5" and will likely get the $25 9.5" as well.
IMG_6975.jpeg

The handle is really long....

Well, my pan was supposed to arrive tomorrow but now I think not. Texas is having a bad winter storm. We never really have these cold spells. Anyway, I have been without water going on 2 days. We have a sink full of dirty dishes and pans. I do have electricity whereas there are still 2.7 million Texas people without power.

So probably no pan seasoning this week.

Back