Heads Up - Matfer Bourgeat 9.5" Black Steel Pan

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What did you use to season the smaller pan? Whenever I seasoned with flaxseed oil, it would produce a beautiful season layer like yours, but it always flakes off.

I have been using plain Vegetable oil, but I have used grape seed oil as well. This pan only got veggie oil.

Never used a high carbon pan....curious how they compare vs stainless or cast iron.

A carbon pan browns like cast iron but they heat up much faster and cool down faster. They probably don't brown as much as the really heavy cast iron but are close. A stainless pan is not in the ball park. Carbon pans are not expensive so try one to see for yourself.

Some of the very high-end stainless pans are claiming to brown like cast iron but not many.

Easier to toss food in cs. I like to think of cs as a sauté pan and ci as a fry pan, if that makes sense. I think cs does the ci job just as well, but ci can’t sauté food very well at all.

Indeed, plain cast iron is good for things where you don't care if you ruin the pan (eg, blackened fish), want to use the oven (eg cornbread or potatoes) and need a stubby handle, or can't afford a more appropriate pan. The internet really loves its cast iron, but I don't see it.

A carbon pan browns like cast iron but they heat up much faster and cool down faster. They probably don't brown as much as the really heavy cast iron but are close. A stainless pan is not in the ball park. Carbon pans are not expensive so try one to see for yourself.

Some of the very high-end stainless pans are claiming to brown like cast iron but not many.
The heavy carbon steel pans like Carbone Plus definitely do. And as for stainless, my Demeyere pro line skillets would like a word with you! Cast iron on a gas burner heats up right where the flames are, but the heat distribution is poor at best. At least for a Lodge.

It's all of them. Cast iron is low-end cookware. Same for carbon steel. That doesn't make it bad; it's great for some things. But you really need to be cognizant of matching pan sizes to burner sizes to avoid problems with them. This is especially true on induction.

My old Griswold cast iron pan functions pretty similarly to my carbon steel pan. The older cast iron isn't quite as heavy as the new stuff, so (like carbon steel) it doesn't hold as much heat as a heavy Lodge cast iron pan. If I really want to sear the bejesus out of something, I'll pull out the Lodge. If I want a bit more heat control and less likelihood of sticking, I'll use the Gris or the carbon steel. Although both the carbon steel and the lighter cast iron perform similarly, I think the edge goes to the carbon steel because it's not as brittle and less likely to break if dropped.

I have a 15-inch Lodge cast iron pan which is very thick maybe 3/8 of an inch which works better than any other pan I have tried to sear a steak in. But to tell the truth I use my gas grill more than my cast iron to cook steaks. I only use cast iron if it is really cold out. The gas grill taste better. It has more of a smoke flavor. If you take steaks out of the picture then that is where high end cook ware comes into the picture for me.

I can measure my cast iron if it is important as far as thickness is concerned.

You might add chicken also as I grill most meats over cooking them in a pan. My grill heats up in 5 minutes.

I do love my carbon steel pans just not for meats that I can grill. I probably have been drinking too much to post here. later.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back