Heads Up - Matfer Bourgeat 9.5" Black Steel Pan

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everything is bigger in Texas.

..including the outages...

Most places are fine with just a power outage. Or a gas outage. Or a water supply outage.

But not Texas! If other places can doing one or two of those, by golly Texas will show them and have all three outages at once! And not just for one day, as anyone could do that.

(sorry man, I feel for you. My mom lives outside Dallas as had 2-3 days with no power or gas, and no water due to a frozen pipe. Power and gas finally came back full-time, house heated, pipe thawed, and then the 'boil all water' notice came through)

Well, maybe tomorrow I will be able to shower if water pressure builds enough. At least I have low pressure water that we can boil now.

My pan may come on Monday unless it gets delayed more.

I have a Matfer Bourgeat crepe pan which has many uses other than making crepes, toast, and other things. Purchased a few months into the pandemic so it still is begining to build up a good seasoning.

Today is a good day as I had my first shower in days and my pan was delivered on Sunday by Amazon.

Here are pictures of me breaking it in. The first picture is 5 minutes in for the seasoning of the pan. The next picture is after the recommended seasoning by Matfer Bourgeat. The last picture is me frying the potato I peeled to break in the pan. I had fried potatoes and left-over brisket for lunch.

I think my pan is ready to go and it will get better the more I use it.

IMG_0153.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0154.jpg
    IMG_0154.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 50
Today is a good day as I had my first shower in days and my pan was delivered on Sunday by Amazon.

Here are pictures of me breaking it in. The first picture is 5 minutes in for the seasoning of the pan. The next picture is after the recommended seasoning by Matfer Bourgeat. The last picture is me frying the potato I peeled to break in the pan. I had fried potatoes and left-over brisket for lunch.

I think my pan is ready to go and it will get better the more I use it.

View attachment 115191

I also like using the spuds from the peelings to do some more seasoning. No sense wasting them!

vwOjlry.jpg

I just replaced my old Mauviel carbon pan because I warped it on my new induction range.

I've "unwarping" carbon steel pans with heat and a rubber mallet. I do it with my matfer 12 5/8 in pan. I heat it up (medium on induction, then raise to medium high after it gets a little warmer) until it starts smoking. I place it on a thick dry towel on a heat resistance surface, take another dry towel and place it over the pan. Then, I hammer on it with the rubber mallet. The top towel stops the mallet from melting / burning onto the towel. Make sure you use cotton unless you like burning plastic more than burning plant fibers.

You want to hammer on the convex side.

Return the pan to the stove to reheat after a minute or so of pounding. Repeat until flat enough.

It makes a lot of noise and you'll probably singe if not burn your top towel. The easier fix is to just not warp your pan. I find that the pan warps from temperature change, either heating or cooling.

I've "unwarping" carbon steel pans with heat and a rubber mallet. I do it with my matfer 12 5/8 in pan. I heat it up (medium on induction, then raise to medium high after it gets a little warmer) until it starts smoking. I place it on a thick dry towel on a heat resistance surface, take another dry towel and place it over the pan. Then, I hammer on it with the rubber mallet. The top towel stops the mallet from melting / burning onto the towel. Make sure you use cotton unless you like burning plastic more than burning plant fibers.

You want to hammer on the convex side.

Return the pan to the stove to reheat after a minute or so of pounding. Repeat until flat enough.

It makes a lot of noise and you'll probably singe if not burn your top towel. The easier fix is to just not warp your pan. I find that the pan warps from temperature change, either heating or cooling.

I just take care in heating up my pans and have never had an issue with warping. To include my 12 5/8".

Hey those tators look great how did you make them? Steps, oil, kind of potatoes?

Thank you.

Good ole russets. Peeled of course. :)

Cut in half cross-wise and parboiled for about eight or so minutes. Just long enough that you can poke into them with a fork but still have resistance.

Cooled a bit then and cubed. They'll be kind of gummy from the parboiling.

Olive oil over medium or a little less heat. The middle is still not fully cooked so it needs time to finish. I cover mine with foil to help the cooking and just check often. Some paprika and dried sage. Once they are cooked through the foil comes off and I toss and adjust the heat until crispy on the outside.

I just take care in heating up my pans and have never had an issue with warping.
It's often accidental sudden cooling right after cooking that gets people. Temperature changes up OR down need to be evenly all over the pan and not sudden.

I didn't realize this was an older thread when I perused it earlier. Prime Day being now and all. Clicked on one of the links and bought a 9.5" Matfer for $29. I have a couple de Buyer Mineral B but they're in storage somewhere. Can anyone offer a comparison?

I've had excellent luck with de Buyer Carbone Plus. We regularly use the 14" for stir frying. I have the 8" (eggs only), 11" (good size for 2 people), and 14" (use the most). In 8 years, they have never warped. Sometimes I re-season on my grill, but i've also done it on a 120k BTU banjo burner (to burn the old stuff off). You can order these from Kerekes. I don't know how they compare to the Matfers.

I haven't used the Matfer, but the one thing that stands out that's different is that they have welded handles.

I’m not a fan of the matfer carbon steel pans. They are heavy, ugly, and have terrible uncomfortable handles. I wish they would rivet on a cast iron handle like the handles they use in their copper pans. I’m a big fan of their copper pans!

I have both the de Buyer Mineral B 11-inch and a matfer 9-inch. They both work well for me. I did hashbrowns in my de Buyer Carbone Plus and eggs in my Matfer 9-inch this morning for breakfast Tacos. I made egg, potato, and cheese tacos for breakfast.

PS
I have a de Buyer Mineral B 11-inch pan not the Carbone plus.

Last edited:
I didn't realize this was an older thread when I perused it earlier. Prime Day being now and all. Clicked on one of the links and bought a 9.5" Matfer for $29. I have a couple de Buyer Mineral B but they're in storage somewhere. Can anyone offer a comparison?

I went and bought on of these as well to try out carbon pans. Just put this photo in the new gear thread because I glazed right over this one. Figured it would be relevant here too.

To Justinv's comments: It is quite heavy for the size, mostly due to the steel thickness. Though I don't have any others to compare. It surprised me when I first handled it. I don't find it particularly ugly in any way, just utilitarian in design.

BXm87Pz.jpg

I went and bought on of these as well to try out carbon pans. Just put this photo in the new gear thread because I glazed right over this one. Figured it would be relevant here too.

To Justinv's comments: It is quite heavy for the size, mostly due to the steel thickness. Though I don't have any others to compare. It surprised me when I first handled it. I don't find it particularly ugly in any way, just utilitarian in design.

BXm87Pz.jpg

It is heavy but a lot lighter than my cast iron. I hardly use cast iron any more nowadays. I have 5 carbon steel pans which I mainly use for cooking. I use stainless very little only when cooking tomato sauce or something like that. I use my cast iron 15 inch because it is my largest pan only rarely. If I had a carbon steel 15 inche pan I would probably never use cast iron.

Last edited:
I went back for the 11.625" version since I liked the 9.5" a lot. The larger one was only $44 before shipping and tax, about $56 delivered.
I deglazed my smaller pan and my seasoning started to flake something terrible. Really sucks because of the nice even finish I had on it before that. Oh well, I'll just have to keep cooking and build it back up again.
3z3AZEg.jpg

I went back for the 11.625" version since I liked the 9.5" a lot. The larger one was only $44 before shipping and tax, about $56 delivered.
I deglazed my smaller pan and my seasoning started to flake something terrible. Really sucks because of the nice even finish I had on it before that. Oh well, I'll just have to keep cooking and build it back up again.
3z3AZEg.jpg
keep going Commander!

the 14” size is at least twice the fun of that 11 5/8!

I guess it might take a 17-carbon steel pan to match a 15-inch cast iron pan actually. The cast iron sides are straight up. Boy a 15-inch cast iron pan is heavy especially when it is full of food.

24, 30 and 36cm pans. Little one is unbranded made in france(maybe I’m wrong, it may be matfer), other two are matfer
image.jpg

I really think if you’re going bigger than this you’d be a whole lot more comfortable with two loop handles.

Last edited:
On deBuyer pans the 32cm and up tend to come with a helper handle.

Yea I think if I bought a bigger carbon steel pan to replace my 15-inch cast iron I think 2 loop handles would be my choice also as it would be more compact. I do have a big oven but a 17-inch pan might have a hard time fitting in my oven. Cast iron pans come with real short handles.

Versions with 2 loop handles exist in a lot of sizes in the deBuyer lineup, don't know about MB. They're normally sold under the name 'paella pan' here. I agree that they make more sense for oven usage; the normal frying pan handle is too large for a lot of regular size ovens. I've actually been considering a large paella pan purely as a cheap oven pan as well.

3z3AZEg.jpg

What did you use to season the smaller pan? Whenever I seasoned with flaxseed oil, it would produce a beautiful season layer like yours, but it always flakes off.

Back