Hefty/substantial Sujihiki suggestions..

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perverockstar

Reaction score
Hello there, I friend of mine is looking for a Sujihiki with somewhere around 3.5mm thickness at the spine. He wants it with Japanese handle or just the blade, since he wants to install his own handle on it.

It should cost max €350 and should be available in Europe, he wants to avoid customs and deduct VAT. The knife should look nice since he wants it for display on his personal collection. 270mm is good, but 300mm preferably.

What are your suggestions? I told him that maybe Yoshikane could fit the bill. What else do you recommend?

Thanks

Last edited:
Mazaki might be thicker than 3.5mm at the spine. I've heard Heiji's are pretty thick. I won't speak to their appearance though :)

For heft, suggest you measure heft. I like mine min of 180g, my favorites are 220ish. The lighter weights can be used but will tend to flex - not a good attribute.

Spine thickness is good but not a way to quantify differences.

I agree. I have a toyama 270 that measures 3.9mm at the spine at the heel, weighs 150g and flexes.

For heft, suggest you measure heft. I like mine min of 180g, my favorites are 220ish. The lighter weights can be used but will tend to flex - not a good attribute.

Spine thickness is good but not a way to quantify differences.
At least 150g, he says. From there an up.

Even better if it is available in 300mm.

Hello there, I friend of mine is looking for a Sujihiki with somewhere around 3.5mm thickness at the spine. He wants it with Japanese handle or just the blade, since he wants to install his own handle on it.

It should cost max €350 and should be available in Europe, he wants to avoid customs and deduct VAT. The knife should look nice since he wants it for display on his personal collection. 270mm is good, but 300mm preferably.

What are your suggestions? I told him that maybe Yoshikane could fit the bill. What else do you recommend?

Thanks
Mazaki also gets my vote. His taper isn’t so extreme that it gets flexy, but also not like an even 3mm all the way down. Matches the price range well too. Heavy spines and chunky geometry, but nice convex bevels.

I personally like the way his stuff looks, but patina usually turns out brown, the way he finishes his bevels. I’d maybe consider a KU if they exist, and they’re thicker, less chance of flexy, and avoid having to refinish the migaki blade face when it inevitably patinas unattractively.

I second the Mazaki. Is available from cleancut. Will have quite reactive cladding though; something to keep in mind. I have the 270 and it's nice and stiff, and forward heavy.

Well just read here if you want something resembling a review I wrote: Mazaki 270 suji; a few ramblings

I personally like the way his stuff looks, but patina usually turns out brown, the way he finishes his bevels. I’d maybe consider a KU if they exist, and they’re thicker, less chance of flexy, and avoid having to refinish the migaki blade face when it inevitably patinas unattractively.
My 270 is the KU Nashiji version. It is 5.2mm out of the handle, 3.2 mid blade, and 1.2, 1 inch from the tip. It’s 0.25, 1mm from the edge along the whole blade road.

Beautiful to look at and cuts really well. Patina on mine is pretty much all blues and purples, extending into the KU, but I only ever use it for meat and have only been using it for a few months in a home environment.

The only place I’d knock it is that the Nashiji is very rough and has a tendency to drag in soft protiens, like butterflying a chicken breast, etc.

Reactions: Pie
Back