Heiji direct

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My long awaited carbon gyuto arrived after 15 months in limbo !
248 mm x 51 mm, my scale at home is busted so will weigh it at work but it feels nice in-hand.
Did any of yours also come with an OOTB edge that can split atoms ?

248 mm x 51 mm, my scale at home is busted so will weigh it at work but it feels nice in-hand.

mine came with a ootb that split itself on an onion root 🤦‍♂️ I get to adjust the bevels sooner than later

Oh no! Yeah I'm definitely nervous to use it without putting a slight microbevel on, but the edge is so keen it makes me hesitant to alter it.

Any idea what his semi-stainless is? He confirmed it is not SKD11 or D2 but, his English is a little rough so I may have missed part of his response.

I'm not a steel snob but, I also want an idea of what it is as I don't want a repeat of some of the steels I have had in the past. And yes, I realize heat treat matters most as I have had brittle ATS-34 that also tarnished easily (and unusually) and a 1095 knife that amazed me with rust resistance and edge holding (to the point I would have questioned if it was actually 1095 had I not known the maker).
"SKD差し込み (SKD inserted?)" written on the box here. If it's not SKD11, it should be SKD12, as many people here have guessed.

The heiji bevel is low so I think if it’s not zero edge it’s gonna wedge in some produce. I would keep it as thin at the edge as possible.

I like the feel of the zero edge but it's micro-chipping even on a soft cutting board and vegetables so I put a micro bevel on with a finishing stone.
The bevel makes it wedge on produce regardless so I'd rather have a micro bevel on to reduce chipping

Heiji SS 240 Gyuto arrived
246mm X 51-52mm
Will measure weight tomorrow when I get to a scale. Needs some sandpaper love.
PXL_20210630_231222536.jpg
PXL_20210630_231236977.jpg
PXL_20210630_231243233.jpg
PXL_20210630_231251234.jpg
PXL_20210630_231310828.jpg

if this knife was carbon you'd probably be having an unfortunate accident and Id be enjoying my new Heiji right about now 👀
Haha. I'm thinking about ordering a carbon Heiji suji. I really love the steel of my Shig which get scary sharp in ridiculously short amount of time, and all you guys have been saying the Heiji carbon is similar or even better. I don't have a carbon suji yet and I probably don't need one, but I'm really curious about the steel.

yes it comes with high polish zero edge. completely useless in actual cutting use but it is impressively sharp.

Haha. I'm thinking about ordering a carbon Heiji suji. I really love the steel of my Shig which get scary sharp in ridiculously short amount of time, and all you guys have been saying the Heiji carbon is similar or even better. I don't have a carbon suji yet and I probably don't need one, but I'm really curious about the steel.
shig core steel heat treat I prefer but heiji cladding is MUCH better

Tbh, the only knife sale I regret is not giving my SS Heiji the same treatment and selling it instead. Will order a 270 eventually.

I haven't used it yet. But based on my previous one, yes. Food release slightly increased, wedging in hard and dense stuff dramatically decreased.

Can you let us know a little more about your plan? Are we just talking a couple mm increase in shoulder height and increasing the angle of the wide bevel? Or raising it way up and adding a lot of convexity?

Can you let us know a little more about your plan? Are we just talking a couple mm increase in shoulder height and increasing the angle of the wide bevel? Or raising it way up and adding a lot of convexity?
Getting rid of the shoulders of the wide bevel and convexing what was the shoulders, into the blade face. Going to blend it in above where the old shinogi was, but, not going up the full blade face. About 10mm or so above the old shinogi.

I'll take pictures to show how I'm doing it.

Getting rid of the shoulders of the wide bevel and convexing what was the shoulders, into the blade face. Going to blend it in above where the old shinogi was, but, not going up the full blade face. About 10mm or so above the old shinogi.

So you're gonna turn it into a Moritaka?

:cool:

Can’t wait to see the result ! Full polish after ?

Latest posts

Back