Heiji direct

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ordered a 210 mm and a 240 mm Gyuto in Swedish carbon from Heiji San directly and when I wanted higher shinogi bevel I was told “ Higher bevel is not good for gyuto knife.” I said okay and let him do his own thing. Shipping was more of a issue sithey deal exclusively with EMS. Since EMS wasn’t shipping to USA it was either ship by boat and wait 4 months or pay $100 for FedEx. I paid for the FedEx and in 6-9 days they arrived. I’d do it again!👍View attachment 117077
heiji are priced pretty cheap so even with $100 in shipping still costs less than other knives.

I recently ordered a deba. A little bit of back and forth. They seemed to only write emails on a Sunday. They couldn't do a deba in semi-stainless because they can't do thick knives in that steel. So I got a carbon 180. Leaving the rest to them.

What is going on with Japanese shipping costs? Heiji quoted me 175 USD to ship my knife to Canada! It doesn't make any sense, especially when most Japanese distributors/knife makers are still shipping for free. I wouldn't have minded paying extra to Heiji but not Fedex.

What is going on with Japanese shipping costs? Heiji quoted me 175 USD to ship my knife to Canada! It doesn't make any sense, especially when most Japanese distributors/knife makers are still shipping for free. I wouldn't have minded paying extra to Heiji but not Fedex.
Either you're unlucky or he's going to hit me for more shipping.

Either you're unlucky or he's going to hit me for more shipping.

Or he's just not going to ship it. My order was complete 2 months ago. He told me if I wanted to pay extra shipping than he would send it on a 3month cruise to me or I could pay and extra $200 to get it within the week. He suggested the best option was just to wait for EMS to start again. I'm hoping I get it for Xmas.

Or he's just not going to ship it. My order was complete 2 months ago. He told me if I wanted to pay extra shipping than he would send it on a 3month cruise to me or I could pay and extra $200 to get it within the week. He suggested the best option was just to wait for EMS to start again. I'm hoping I get it for Xmas.

That's funny. He told me the same thing about the cruise. I think he just doesn't have any relationships with other carriers so they hit him with these absurd shipping fees. Glad it's not just me :)

I guess we're in the same boat? 🤷‍♂️ I ordered 2 months ago also.

That's funny. He told me the same thing about the cruise. I think he just doesn't have any relationships with other carriers so they hit him with these absurd shipping fees. Glad it's not just me :)

From what I has been told at couple months ago is the Japanese vendor wouldn't get discount shipping rate If they do not have the contract with any shipping courier.
and yes, the shipping rate to US without discount is around $170 and about $40-$50 if with contracted discount.

Mike

Hey guys - wondering if anyone has ordered both gyuto and suji from Heiji directly? He quoted me the same price for gyuto and suji of the same length (240), but based on my experience, suji is often a bit cheaper than a gyuto of the same length?

Last edited:
Hey guys - wondering if anyone has ordered both gyuto and suji from Heiji directly? He quoted me the same price for gyuto and suji of the same length (240), but based on my experience, suji is often a bit cheaper than a gyuto of the same length?
suji is usually around same price as a gyuto. but heiji prices are fantastic. don't sweat it.

If that’s what he quoted you, that’s what it costs…
His prices are super reasonable though.

Anybody want to combine efforts to save on shipping? Perhaps we can get a few people to order some 240's. LMK

I'd be happy to lead the charge.
Sounds interesting, wonder what his price is for a 270

Crappy phone pics, but got this beast in the mail couple of weeks ago.
Turnaround was exactly 4 months.

The handle is one of the nicest chestnut I've ever seen 😊

20210329_103555.jpg

20210329_103911.jpg

I have a gyuto that Heiji has finished. Just waiting for the EMS to resume service as Fedex would cost an additional 14540 JPY. I also included 4 additional burnt chestnut handles in my order which I'm really excited about. It's really hard to get burnt chestnut handles anywhere in the US.

Hi! I ordered a 135 mm SS petty in July 2020. Correspondence was smooth, the request for blond ferule was declined smoothly, too 😛
Begginig of Nov 2020 the knife was ready and shipped.
I am happy with the customer service. The little knife is great. Wish the shipment cost and customs taxes were less, but that's life.

Attachments

• 16203373601784512724353707612767.jpg
    16203373601784512724353707612767.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 44
Weird, I just had a knife ship from an eBay seller via dhl. Won on a Wednesday or something along those lines, received that Saturday. No additional fees or import costs.

Yes, that was my experience too. Bought to blades (NOS) from a japanese dealer and got them via FedEx in one week. Shipping costs were reasonable, no customs fee (unlike DHL).

Back