Heiji direct

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ordered a 270 Gyuto and 170 petty - will get my order in 4 months - arriving July

For the Gyuto, he seems to have two grinds - one a slabby heavier grind, that comes in at 240-255 gm, and another grind, slightly slimmer, that comes in at around 205-210. I have one carbon 240 Gyuto at 252 gm, and one 240 SS which is thinner at 212 gm

Maybe it’s the steel, and carbon steels are heavier, but the grind on my SS is definitely thinner - I prefer that actually, it’s a better performer

So my new 270, I have asked for the slimmer, less slabby version

My heel heights are 52-53 - but perfectly balanced profiles with good knuckle clearance

I would stay away from asking for higher heel height, previous threads have indicated that is a big no-no for them. I would also veer away from mass order - you could end up in an abyss if they sense it’s a mass order

Count your blessings if they respond - I emailed 4 times before I got a really nice friendly reply, and they have been in prompt communications since

But what you get you will be very pleased. The workmanship is incredible and the Kasumi finish is second to none. These are gorgeous, high performance knives

I did offer my Heiji Nakiri to Nakiri madman @nakiriwaifu at a 40% discount, but he turned me down🙏

I had 12 offers for that Nakiri and it was gone - I priced it that low

1621719915819.gif

I tried a few times, gave up, will wait for Jon to get some more in, wanting a 240 suji.

I tried a few times, gave up, will wait for Jon to get some more in, wanting a 240 suji.
Same here - tried 4 times, no response, and then I tried again, and Lo and behold, got a really nice and responsive emails - whole bunch of them. And now a 270 mm Gyuto and 160 mm petty are headed my way in July. I also asked them to DHL it - they agreed

it’s a test, perseverance😂😂😂

I would keep trying a few more times, they seem to be busy till July I think - try then. Maybe they only respond when they have capacity, who knows, it’s the Japanese way

don't give up yet - try a couple of more times and it may work. It worked for me. I ordered two 240s a couple of weeks ago, one SS and one carbon. The wait time is around 4 months.

i emailed twice, havent heard **** yet
Keep trying - they will respond - give it a couple of weeks and email again. Don’t use the webform, email them directly using the email many have provided on KKf

What are the specs - slabbish or thinner profile version?
Oooooh, what’s the heel height? Also, it’s carbon right?

I don’t have anything but a tape measure in inches here but it’s pretty much 9.5 (240mm-242mm) x 2.1ish (maybe 52-53mm). I asked for taller but he blew me off ,which I was ok with, but it seems that maybe it does have a little extra heel height. Not sure what normal specs are usually but this thing is pretty damn sweet. I would have liked for it to run a little longer like heji’s usually does but no complaints. I desperately need to round this spine. Weight is 241g.
6F4A9B82-6831-4C2E-830E-54556DE9BC4C.jpeg

Me too - it took around 5 emails to get a response for a Deba. They also never responded to my emails asking for a 270mm yo-gyutol

I don’t have anything but a tape measure in inches here but it’s pretty much 9.5 (240mm-242mm) x 2.1ish (maybe 52-53mm). I asked for taller but he blew me off ,which I was ok with, but it seems that maybe it does have a little extra heel height. Not sure what normal specs are usually but this thing is pretty damn sweet. I would have liked for it to run a little longer like heji’s usually does but no complaints. I desperately need to round this spine. Weight is 241g. View attachment 129979
Nice choil shot, looks tall and thin. I like how mine cuts on most things, but there’s always the temptation to buy another one and push the shoulders wayyyyy-up so it’s better for carrots, apples, etc.

i emailed twice, havent heard **** yet
I emailed once, got a response. Replied back. Ghosted.

After 2 weeks I wrote again with everything I wanted based on his previous response. A day or two later I got an invoice through PayPal.

Do you know if they'll still do handleless westerns?
Curious about this as well. Will Heiji do a western?
hey also never responded to my emails asking for a 270mm yo-gyutol

I take @friz on his word:

I have got this message from him 22nd of November :
"Thank you for your questions. I am sorry, I can not make western handle knives now. Because my partner who make the handles have sick now. He does not let me know his next schedule."

More westerns? Probably not any time soon.... hey @Fritz, I think you sold it (despite the sale being withdrawn)? You were disappointed in the fit and finish. It looks like a fairly mass production handle? And pakkawood scales?

The other thing I have learned by following KKF discourse on Heiji, best not to ask for special design considerations- eg, higher heel height, etc. you pretty much get what they make for you -‘but what they make is pretty darn good at the price!

4th times a charm, should have a 240 semistainless sujihiki in about 4 months, I did ask for rounded spine and choil.

Back