Heiji direct

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For what it's worth, if storage or cutting space isn't a constraint, I fall into the camp that longer is almost always better. Especially if you do thinks like big roasts or brisket...

It's not the size, it's how you use it... ;)

Oh.. still talking about sujis.

My head says 270 is more practical, but the 300 is only a little bit more (<5000yen) and tempting, not least because it won‘t fit in the kitchen drawer. Which makes it easier to justify buying the magnetic strip that my wife doesn’t know about (yet)…

The 240 to 270 jump takes the knife from being limited to home meal portioning to being able to take on any protein slicing task. The jump to 300 brings nothing to the equation unless you're slicing wedding cake. That said I have a 240 and a few 270 for home use and prefer a 285 for making money with.

PS. What are the other Top 5 candidates Btw?

Bear in mind that my requirements for a suji are probably different than yours.

1) HSC Zwear. When I had a custom HSC made it was largely because Harbeer works with Zwear and edge retention is a primary criteria for me. I can use the Zwear for a catering event, slice a couple hundred pounds of brisket, prime rib
or other roasts, clean it and put it back in the bag and do it again tomorrow. And then repeat. Harbeer also made it tall enough I can use it for conventional push cutting, 285mm long and over 220g to fit me perfectly.

2) Wat Blue from professional line. My favorite off the shelf suji.
2a) Toyama Carbon. Used side by side, I found it indistinguishable from the Wat.
2b) Heiji Carbon. Heaviest suji I've used. Sh!t would just split apart when they saw it coming.

5) Wat Kintaro Ame (Shin's Damascus) 285mm Stainless. One of very few dammy knives I own. Handles like the Pro but the 3x price premium puts it down the list. But it's way pretty.

6) Devin AEBL 270. A little lighter offering than my ideal for all day pro use. I could cut with this one forever at home.
6a) Gengetsu stainless clad carbon 270, less tall than some of others, it's a suji and doesn't pretend to be anything else.
6b) Mert's Hunter Valley 270 in 52100. Objectively the equal of any above for home use - the 52100 just doesn't have the (forever) retention I want. (And this one happens to be for sale)

9) Kono 300mm. Very good knife, hell on wedding cakes. Too light for my taste and a little flexi.

10) Ashi Ginga, Tad INOX, Suisin IH. Laser suji like laser gyuto just don't work for me to go all day. Some flex, takes too much work for large proteins. (Though my 240 suji is a Tad and it's a "bury me with this one" knife.

The 240 to 270 jump takes the knife from being limited to home meal portioning to being able to take on any protein slicing task. The jump to 300 brings nothing to the equation unless you're slicing wedding cake. ..

Bear in mind that my requirements for a suji are probably different than yours…

Cheers for taking the time the pen all that lovely detail - all much appreciated. In gratitude I hereby declare you Sir DaveSujiB, OBE - any old Brit should be give out a heriditary title in these more enlightened times, surely - for your experiences and considerable services rendered to the meat cutting industry. Arise Sir Dave.

My requirements are definitely different from yours. I’m long out of pro–kitchens and the big family cook-ups have been paused for far too long.. This is very much a luxury purchase - something of a commemoration to someone who loved being the big meal host - and likely to be the last Suji I buy, wheeled out on special occasions and whenever I can find a use/excuse in general. The idea of a more ‘meaty’ suji appealed, so your mention of ‘sh!t just splitting apart’ when the Heiji approaches chimes with my hopeful expectations.

I did consider the WatoToyama options as an alternative, but thought they’d be too much of an expense. The Heiji is inching close to those price levels, so torn between just going for it (buoyed by SirDave‘s recs) and checking the alternatives a little more prudently. A Hinoura from JCK would represent a fairly hefty saving for example and looks to follow a similarly more hefty grind. Sensibility has never been my strong point mind and I suspect the Heiji bug has already bitten. Meh, I’ve got a little more time to dither until the invoice arrives…

I did consider the WatoToyama options as an alternative, but thought they’d be too much of an expense. The Heiji is inching close to those price levels, so torn between just going for it (buoyed by SirDave‘s recs) and checking the alternatives a little more prudently. A Hinoura from JCK would represent a fairly hefty saving for example and looks to follow a similarly more hefty grind. Sensibility has never been my strong point mind and I suspect the Heiji bug has already bitten. Meh, I’ve got a little more time to dither until the invoice arrives…

I am a little suji stupid. From your description it sounds like we share a requirement for a heavier suji. My redneck buds would call it a knife with "a little ass to it". Suggest you look for something 180g+, bonus if over 200g.

IME the stainless clad Wat, Toy, the Maz and the host of other sujis are in the 150 - 160g range. That's too light (IMHO) for a large joint. Suggest you get a weight for that Hinora and then compare available carbon knives from Wat, Toy, Heiji. If you got the Wat/Toy/Heiji and didn't like it, you could prob part with it at little loss. And did I mention I have an HVB for sale?

Last edited:
I am a little suji stupid. From your description it sounds like we share a requirement for a heavier suji. My redneck buds would call it a knife with "a little ass to it". Suggest you look for something 180g+, bonus if over 200g.

IME the stainless clad Wat, Toy, the Maz and the host of other sujis are in the 150 - 160g range. That's too light (IMHO) for a large joint. Suggest you get a weight for that Hinora and then compare available carbon knives from Wat, Toy, Heiji. If you got the Wat/Toy/Heiji and didn't like it, you could prob part with it at little loss. And did I mention I have an HVB for sale?

Cheers again SirDave - I’m appreciative of your sujiphile tendencies and for generously sharing your past experiences. I can’t claim the same knowledge, but you’re right in that I’m after a bit more grunt and heft with this Heiji. I like the lighter suji options in general use (and I have plenty of laser-like cutters), but occasionally when you’re confronted with a hefty rib roast or similar the average suji seems a bit effete - this ain’t no fish and sticking an extra bevel on a Yanagiba doesn’t really address that. I‘m being oversimplistic for effect maybe, but many sujis are just marginally adapted yanas it seems, and sometimes you want more. This ain’t a place for my usual refined Sakai types, hence the Heiji punt.

Anyway, I’ve asked Heiji for a final (paypal and postage costs included) invoice, so will be confirming in a day or few…

My Heiji is ready, but no EMS to Australia at the moment. I'm guessing they relied on passenger flights - and it doesn't look like anyone is flying into our prison island any time soon. Imagine I'll be waiting a while.

The 240 to 270 jump takes the knife from being limited to home meal portioning to being able to take on any protein slicing task. The jump to 300 brings nothing to the equation unless you're slicing wedding cake. That said I have a 240 and a few 270 for home use and prefer a 285 for making money with.

Bear in mind that my requirements for a suji are probably different than yours.
Good info, thanks for posting.

I'm about to order a suji, thinking that 240 might be enough. Home cook, usually cooking for 2 people (max 4-5 occasionally). My preferences tend to run a little shorter than some others here (210 gyutos, 165 nakiri, nothing longer apart from a 270 yanagiba). I'd like it to be long enough for carving duties at Christmas though.

Anyone think I should go for 270 instead?

My 270 SS Gyuto and 170 SS petty have been ready to ship since July 1 - but I never got his email. So they are being shipped via EMS now - I should be getting them in 2 weeks

SKD 12 is the steel I believe they are using

looks amazing. Would love to see the choil
While it looks lefty biased in relationship to the core steel, it was definitely ground right-handed. I think I need another session or two on the stones. While much better than stock, it could use some more thinning and blending around the middle of the blade.
PXL_20210820_183612858.jpg

Looks good M1k3. I did actually get around to ordering that Heiji suji a few weeks ago, but I‘m entirely hoping to avoid the thinning mission via the @daveb ‘s ‘sh-it splitting apart’ approach

I did also buy the 300mm, both for the vanity of owning a hobbit sword and for the aforementioned tactical reason. I almost certainly would have been able to fit a 270 into the allocated kitchen drawer, and then how the bleeding hell would have I been able to justify this magnetic knife rack purchase?

The wife gets home tomorrow. I think I’ll be ok - I’ve completed other more requested DIY projects as cover – but on reflection I may have jumped the gun a little early when the Heiji doesn’t arrive for another couple of months….
🤦‍♂️

1629507912544.jpeg

While it looks lefty biased in relationship to the core steel, it was definitely ground right-handed. I think I need another session or two on the stones. While much better than stock, it could use some more thinning and blending around the middle of the blade.View attachment 138701
thanks. looks pretty good as is.

Latest posts

Back