Heiji direct

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m curious to know what’s the price of a carbon 240mm gyuto. I ordered mine in 2019 and I’m just wondering where the prices are at now.

The price value equation is remarkable- I paid $287 for my 270 mm Gyuto in SS (SKD12)

I don’t think you can find Heiji quality at this price- Mazaki included. Exceptionally well made

It is a substantial kitchen room with a significant presence

Only thing is, you have to get them to respond to you and it takes 4 months to receive your knife

The price value equation is remarkable- I paid $287 for my 270 mm Gyuto in SS (SKD12)

I don’t think you can find Heiji quality at this price- Mazaki included. Exceptionally well made

It is a substantial kitchen room with a significant presence

Only thing is, you have to get them to respond to you and it takes 4 months to receive your knife

what was the price in JPY? That would make it easier to compare (without getting into exchange rates) and see the price difference if any from 2019 and now.
I'm also curious if there's any difference between SS and the carbon for the same length/type.

what was the price in JPY? That would make it easier to compare (without getting into exchange rates) and see the price difference if any from 2019 and now.
I'm also curious if there's any difference between SS and the carbon for the same length/type.

I paid 31,500

Here are some quotes I got recently this month for semi-stainless:
  • Petty150 is 15400 JPY
  • Gyuto180 is 19800 JPY
  • Gyuto210 is 22000 JPY
  • Gyuto240 is 27500 JPY
Octagonal chestnut handle
  • For Gyuto210 is 4300 JPY.
  • For Gyuto240 is 4500 JPY.
Freight and fee to ship out to overseas countries will be about 2860 JPY and 1310JPY

shipping and paypal fee
Its shipping and overseas handling fee. The shipping fee will depend on how many items you are ordering since it is based on the weight range. The 2860 JPY shipping fee was only for quote 1 or 2 knives. He didn't change for an additional Paypal fee.

Its shipping and overseas handling fee. The shipping fee will depend on how many items you are ordering since it is based on the weight range. The 2860 JPY shipping fee was only for quote 1 or 2 knives. He didn't change for an additional Paypal fee.
The overseas handling fee is just paypal fee. It’s called differently on my other invoice too.

40AF31BB-EE47-4F43-B151-D12477075590.jpeg

Hz_zzzzzz, thanks for sharing. That's interesting the Gyuto 240 price had increased 4400 JPY since last year.

Man every time I see posts on this thread I want to pull the trigger on one. I've never tried one, and something about the look of heijis just calls to me. These photos always make it tough to resist.

Maybe it's time to get that ss 210 suji!

Man every time I see posts on this thread I want to pull the trigger on one. I've never tried one, and something about the look of heijis just calls to me. These photos always make it tough to resist.

Maybe it's time to get that ss 210 suji!

Honestly, with a 4-5 month wait, you might as well get in the queue now.

I got tired of waiting for something from Tosa to be available is the states, so I just placed my order with Heiji today…a 270 semi-stainless non-KU (Migaki) Gyuto with burned chestnut handle. Nakaya Heiji estimated 4 mos. as we’ve come to expect. Communication was fantastic with him by email and I explained that I was looking for a heavy knife to match the bulky length and he noted 250+ grams on the desired target weight (I don’t think that will be a problem for a 270mm with normal grind and chestnut handle - maybe 260-270g is more expected). The Gyuto itself is ¥38,500 before uppity ups for shipping and PayPal.

The cost seems like it has ticked up substantially lately, but I don’t feel that it is lacking a good cost/value proposition for me at this price. The 270mm Kaeru WH from JNS is $380 (OPS), so same ballpark, shipped. In my main hustle - I’ve been involved in the bidding of some large-ish steel fabrication and construction projects recently (coated carbon steel, 316L, and 2507 super duplex) and all grades have spiked in the last 6 mos. This is no surprise for anyone who has been paying attention to material and labor costs, but it’s real - like 20-30% premium real. So with that context, I’m really satisfied with the purchase experience and value. I’ll send some pictures sometime around Groundhog Day 2022!

I just got my 270 about a few weeks ago, snd you don’t have to worry about the weight- posted here in NKD, the 270 was in the target weight range.

for the price, profile,and workmanship, I can’t think of a better knife

Hey guys - I got a quick q - I just realized I forgot to specify the handle when I ordered from Heiji over 4 months ago.... wondering if burnt chestnut handle with buffalo horn is the handle by default?

I think it's the default, but, contact him to make sure. If he hasn't contacted you saying it's ready, it's not to late correct it if burnt chestnut isn't the default option.

When I placed my order last month, the default handle is octangle burnt chestnut with black horn.

Back