Heiji direct

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Every time I look at a Heiji, I want one, even though I have plenty

I do not however have the KU - are these SKD semi-stainless?
One in carbon and the other one in SS.
I did not ask for KU specifically - I only specified the gyuto size and steel I wanted in my order, nothing else. So I think the KU in the photo will come off after polishing (He did tell me he has not polish or sharpen them yet).

What is delivery and pricing like on a Gyuto today? What COVID impacts exist? Is shipping better now or are knives still getting hung up in transportation?

Assuming no requested changes on a 210~240mm SemiStainless Gyuto, is it built to cut Sweet Potatoes or cold carrots and similar hard produce or, should it be reserved for softer items?

Regarding pricing, I"m not looking for a hard quote but a reasonable range for the knife and shipping would be helpful as I consider one today or in the future.

TIA,
Sid

Also, how do they compare to something like a Gihei Blue #2 Gyuto? I'm thinking more of a workhorse-style Gyuto as a complement to my laser Gyuto.

What is delivery and pricing like on a Gyuto today? What COVID impacts exist? Is shipping better now or are knives still getting hung up in transportation?

Assuming no requested changes on a 210~240mm SemiStainless Gyuto, is it built to cut Sweet Potatoes or cold carrots and similar hard produce or, should it be reserved for softer items?

Regarding pricing, I"m not looking for a hard quote but a reasonable range for the knife and shipping would be helpful as I consider one today or in the future.

TIA,
Sid
Sweet potatoes will need some extra, "encouraging", regular potatoes no issue, with the stock wide bevels. Putting a little work in the geometry pays off tremendously though. And the spine and choil. 4-5 months wait. Around $280 USD (Shipping+PayPal) all in for a 240mm SS with no additional customization

Additional data point...the number that @deskjockey posted above is the exact same that I recieved for the 270mm Semi-Stainless Gyuto, though I did specify rounded spine and choil and a minumum total weight. My shipping price was 3580 JPY and there is a Paypal Fee of 2020 JPY to boot. It all came to about $410 at PayPal's conversion rates last month.

Sweet potatoes will need some extra, "encouraging", regular potatoes no issue, with the stock wide bevels. Putting a little work in the geometry pays off tremendously though. And the spine and choil. 4-5 months wait. Around $280 USD (Shipping+PayPal) all in for a 240mm SS with no additional customization

I am tempted to pick up one of these but, I'm also curious about the need or desire to "put a little work into the geometry".

My initial searches for the Yoshikane in a Nashiji finish with SKD/SLD steel has not been overly successful except for a couple out of stock options offered with a pretty good price increase, and the restocks are expected to include the rumored extra price increases I have seen mentioned. This has me focused back on the Heiji and Gihei options. The definite advantage Gihei has is more immediate delivery since it is in stock at two CONUS vendors for $260 (240mm Gyuto). Then there is the Semi-Stainless versus clad carbon consideration.

I really need to get a knife that will encourage me to spend more time in the kitchen. Post-Hospice for my mother and Post-Covid (for the most part) has seen me spend too much time at fast food places and generally eating less healthy than I should. This thread has me rethinking my priorities. ;)

Several comments have been along the lines of:
If you can wait, spend the extra $40 and get a Heiji

This has me wondering what I am missing if I get the Gihei 'today' and if I might have buyer's remorse if I don't get a Heiji.

Last edited:
In it's stock form, it wedges in denser produce. The wide bevels are pretty flat, so friction in dense stuff is high. Convexing the bevels reduces friction, allowing the blade to cut through easier.

I was recently asked how I went about modifying my Heiji. Thought I'd share my amateur method. May not be ideal, but, hey. It worked for me.

Your mileage may vary.

I make no guarantee or warranty to the quality of other people.

On with the short show!

Finger placement. At or just above the shinogi/shoulders.View attachment 143609View attachment 143610

I rock the knife back and forth, trying to avoid the edge and spine.

You could also use Klapton tape, the 1mm wide kind, at the edge and near the spine. It'll help from going to far while leaving a lot of wiggle room.

I am tempted to pick up one of these but, I'm also curious about the need or desire to "put a little work into the geometry".

My initial searches for the Yoshikane in a Nashiji finish with SKD/SLD steel has not been overly successful except for a couple out of stock options offered with a pretty good price increase, and the restocks are expected to include the rumored extra price increases I have seen mentioned. This has me focused back on the Heiji and Gihei options. The definite advantage Gihei has is more immediate delivery since it is in stock at two CONUS vendors for $260 (240mm Gyuto). Then there is the Semi-Stainless versus clad carbon consideration.

I really need to get a knife that will encourage me to spend more time in the kitchen. Post-Hospice for my mother and Post-Covid (for the most part) has seen me spend too much time at fast food places and generally eating less healthy than I should. This thread has me rethinking my priorities. ;)

Several comments have been along the lines of:
If you can wait, spend the extra $40 and get a Heiji

This has me wondering what I am missing if I get the Gihei 'today' and if I might have buyer's remorse if I don't get a Heiji.
KnS has it available
https://www.knivesandstones.com.au/collections/yoshikane

My two 240s, one in each steel, are completed today. The wait time is almost exactly 4 months.
1632443534624.jpeg

Didn't specify anything when ordering. The carbon one looks a bit shorter at heel than the ss one. Can't wait to try them out.

My two 240s, one in each steel, are completed today. The wait time is almost exactly 4 months.
View attachment 143836
Didn't specify anything when ordering. The carbon one looks a bit shorter at heel than the ss one. Can't wait to try them out.

The difference could just be photography related. It will be interesting to hear your comments after some use.

View attachment 143836

Nice, I'm so jealous... my order won't be ready to ship until mid December.

Did you ask for any easing of spine and choil? I just placed an order for a ss 2 weeks ago and wondering if I should ask for anything.
I did not ask for anything... not even higher heel... and based on @Chopper88 's experience below, asking for spine and choil easing might not be a very good idea -
I feel asking Heiji for rounded spine and eased choil is a mistake, you're better off taking the time for this and doing a nice job yourself.
I am very happy with the performance of my knife and if you judge purely by how it cuts it's amazing, but the spine wasn't rounded at all, and the heel he just runs across a grinder for 2 seconds.
It's not that bad, but it isn't particularly nice either.

He has accepted to round the spine and ease the choil though, it was even on a drawing he shared with me when discussing the profile.
The funny thing is that I also asked him to change the tip, of which he did a great job!
Its almost as if he thinks everything that doesn't impact cutting performance is just nonsense haha.

View attachment 130330View attachment 130331View attachment 130332

I did not ask for anything... not even higher heel... and based on @Chopper88 's experience below, asking for spine and choil easing might not be a very good idea -

They look really good. Slightly annoyed I didn‘t add a gyuto onto the suji order right about now.

About 2 months down, so hopeful of receiving my Heiji in good time for Christmas slicing.

Has anyone asked Nakaya Heiji to provide a saya for his knives? I know that there are saya out there for these, but not sure if these are being produced by the vendors or by Heiji directly. If direct, what was the added price from Heiji for a made to fit saya? Thanks in advance!

love the handles. the SS is thinner? based on the pics, look like quite a difference.
yeah - the carbon one is thicker. I do not have the tools to measure their exact weight but the carbon one does feels a bit heavier in hand....

Additional data point...the number that @deskjockey posted above is the exact same that I recieved for the 270mm Semi-Stainless Gyuto, though I did specify rounded spine and choil and a minumum total weight. My shipping price was 3580 JPY and there is a Paypal Fee of 2020 JPY to boot. It all came to about $410 at PayPal's conversion rates last month.
Don't let PayPal convert the currency for you. It's almost always the most expensive option. I usually just pay JPY or whatever foreign currency directly with my credit card in PayPal. My credit card doesn't charge foreign transaction fee and the exchange rate is always good. In this way there's no loss on currency conversion. For example, for 44100 yen a credit card should only charge $394 without fee rather than the $408 that Paypal will charge. Although most credit cards that don't charge foreign transaction fee come with an annual fee, there is a BofA Travel Reward Card that doesn't charge annual fee and doesn't charge foreign transaction fee. Hope it helps.

Don't let PayPal convert the currency for you. It's almost always the most expensive option. I usually just pay JPY or whatever foreign currency directly with my credit card in PayPal. My credit card doesn't charge foreign transaction fee and the exchange rate is always good. In this way there's no loss on currency conversion. For example, for 44100 yen a credit card should only charge $394 without fee rather than the $408 that Paypal will charge. Although most credit cards that don't charge foreign transaction fee come with an annual fee, there is a BofA Travel Reward Card that doesn't charge annual fee and doesn't charge foreign transaction fee. Hope it helps.

I wish knew that before placing my order last month

I wish knew that before placing my order last month
You can use the tip next time. KnS, JNS, Tosho... there are so many foreign retailers so this will add up. Even with the usual 1-3% foreign transaction fee it's still cheaper than PP conversion. I think in Q3 Discover card even has a 5% cash back when you check out via Paypal. And Discover also doesn't charge foreign transaction fee and it doesn't have an annual fee. Compared to PP conversion it's like a 8% off. Credit cards in US are super friendly to consumers.

Fair point. On small transactions, I generally let PayPal do it as a few cents in the overall scheme of things isn't terribly important.

On larger purchases in foreign currencies, I use my credit card which has no transaction fee and whatever the current market conversion rate is minus some really small delta for overhead (like 10cents per $100).

Back