• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Withdrawn Heiji Gyuto Yo Handle

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

friz

Reaction score
Hi. I would like to sell this gyuto.
I won this gyuto a couple of weeks ago at auction, I fought for it.
I always wanted to try a Heiji gyuto. I contacted him not long ago and waiting list was 'only' 6 months, and that was enough to let me down. Tried to get one from here but never got the chance. I saw this one came up at auction, with the western handle WOAAA, I knew me I had to have it.
When the knife arrived I was disappointed, fit and finish it is not the best.
I bought it second hand, the previous owner had used it but it used it very lightly.
I tried it prepping for a couple of meals and boy oh boy it cuts wonderfully.
Regarding the steel, I bought it out of a Japanese auction so title and description was in Japanese. Google translated as Chromax steel, which from my knowledge it is stainless, but trust me the core steel it is not rust resistant, so can't be chromax (the clad is stainless though).
I know Heiji works with both semi-stainless and carbon. Because I have never owned a Heiji before I can't compare and tell you guys exactly what steel it is.
I wanted to clear that so I contacted Heiji directly and he said " I think it's my semi-stainless steel".
I am personally still in doubt.
I haven't used it much and it hasn't touch a stone or strop or anything, just chopping board.
That's the story, sorry just wanted to be competely honest with you.

Measurements:
Length 244mm
Height 50mm
Weight 268gr

I paid 1030AUD which translated in USD is 680.
I ask the buyer to pay shipping because I am already losing 100AUD.
Knife is in Australia.

If you want additional pictures please contact me and I will send it to you when I have the time to shoot them.

Regards,
Nicola

qSJ3TgD.jpg

MpyBRES.jpg

Last edited:
I believe Heiji's semi stainless steel knives have a SS core and a stainless cladding, hence the core is reacting but the cladding isn't.
I saw the auction and was very very tempted as well, but I'm halfway through my six months sentence of waiting for a heiji custom so I couldn't justify it, whoever ends up buying it is getting something special, GLWS!

I believe Heiji's semi stainless steel knives have a SS core and a stainless cladding, hence the core is reacting but the cladding isn't.
I saw the auction and was very very tempted as well, but I'm halfway through my six months sentence of waiting for a heiji custom so I couldn't justify it, whoever ends up buying it is getting something special, GLWS!
He is not making western handles gyutos anymore, not sure if he resumes anytime soon, so, yes, something special indeed.

Nice knife, glws!

btw: Chromax is equivalent to SKD12, wich makes sense, since other sources claim its the latter

You can see three dots in the shape of a triangle below the kanji in the first photo. This is what Heiji uses to indicate his “special stainless”

Last edited:
Very nice knife! If I had the cash, I would snatch that up, but sadly...

GLWS!

I have bought from Nicola. Straight shooter for sure, and shipping from Aus to US was quick.

I don’t even like westerns and I’m very tempted... GLWS

Just took delivery of my first Heiji today... Awesome knives and definitely rare with a yo handle. Cool pickup for someone.

I have got this message from him 22nd of November :
"Thank you for your questions. I am sorry, I can not make western handle knives now. Because my partner who make the handles have sick now. He does not let me know his next schedule."
I hope you get your knife in time.

By the way thanks so much everyone I wasn't expecting so many kind words.
I have a couple of people who messaged me I come back to you both when I finish working.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
why are you selling it?
Hey sorry for the late reply I was at work. I want to sell it because it doesn't look like I imagined. I don't think it is refinished good. Performance though is another story. Cut few potatoes with it, no sticking whatsoever. Edge is very fine, even though I am not the guy who bang the knife on the board I managed to micro chip it, I am talking something that a 6k stone will polish away easily.
Being honest here, F&F not good performance very good.
Moreover I am asking what I paid without shipping from Japan (100aud). I know that might be steep to some.
At this point I can negotiate for shipping to US but I can't stretch too much.

Happy new year everyone. Bump, 660USD

Latest posts

Back