• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Heirlooms

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Badgertooth

Reaction score
Maruoyama Tenjou Uchigumori

210 x 80 x 20

This stone is a knife friendly 7/10, leaves a toothy finish sub 8k and polishes very nicely. Comes with Kiri box $400

KkwPAKi.jpg

CKHI8jW.jpg

gLDjojR.jpg

Honyama pyjama stripe iromono

205 x 79 x 47!!

This one is harder than it looks where most people expect red stones to be muddy softies. This one doesn't give off much mud but is still polish friendly. As a vintage stone it's benefited from a good lapping to open it up and leaves keen non-slippy edge for the kitchen. $400

vYC3JcD.jpg

DCQdWap.jpg

tzWFtT5.jpg

Ultra Uchigumori

210 x 78 x 58

Purple, with green highlights. A vast field of Renge waiting to be lapped into existence as you can see from difference in photos 1 & 2. It's very hard and maybe not the stone for your first foray into jnats and it makes you work for it before it starts to play nice but then everything clicks and it does amazing things to polishes. Leaves a sticky edge too. Heirloom stuff $800

FqlQjjz.jpg

PX0pPfb.jpg

MoFroso.jpg

Namazu 1

210 x 78 x 32

This stone and the next are an abject lesson in how individual stones can be. They look like brothers with some subtle differences in colouring but they are remarkably different. This one is harder. You will get mud but you need to work for it a little. It leaves a shiny polish and an edge on the finer edge of the spectrum. Army green with yellowish namazu. 7.5/10 $350

tzWFtT5.jpg

813OZjt.jpg

Namazu 2

205 x 78 x 30

Squelch monster!!! Muddy, soft, polishers dream, finished my red handled Fujiwara Maboroshi on it. 6/10 hardness

7CuR79U.jpg

l4lBaIa.jpg

https://instagram.com/p/BTOAX5XBJ9s/

zkqBYrE.jpg

There's a couple more but it'll take me a little while to type up on the phone

The bruiser
210 x 79 x 52

NOS honyama finisher - Another monster, probably the finest of the lot, or maybe second finest, hard but by no means an edge crumbler. I use it without a nagura but do a bit of work behind the edge before I make contact with the edge. Once there's a bit of slurry it's a nice grippy sticky stone and leaves hanging hair cutting edge on my Toyama. $400

pgLNVwD.jpg

dlAJm1M.jpg

Ohira Renge Suita
198 x 70 x 19

Renge and suminagashi interplay beautifully on this stone. It's on the harder and finer end on the Suita spectrum but still very knife friendly. Has a bizarre pink slurry and leaves the classic toothy Ohira Suita edge $250

vLnaI5f.jpg

88EUFmd.jpg

Narutaki Suita
210 x 80 x 34

If not for owning the twin of this stone. I would sleep with it under my pillow. Brooksie thinks I'm mad to even consider selling it as he has one and he might chime in with a picture or two of what a good polisher like him can do with it.
Fast cutter and almost creamy in its feedback. It polishes like hell. It's not a contrast stone and it's about as far as I like to push a kitchen edge. $500

FTm5fVS.jpg

x7CtF1G.jpg

Narutaki Tomae
198 x 70 x 25

Red!! But again atypical, it's fast, not muddy, fine and an absolute belter. No heartbreak if this one doesn't sell and on the cusp of withdrawing

Shou honyama finisher
205 x 74 x 31

Ok this is the finest of the lot and the hardest. Crazy colouring going from olive through yellow to a slight red tinge at the other end. I had the foresight to photograph with stamp but they are since lapped off. For ura sharpening & razors (I'm out of my depth here though)

Narutaki Tomae

198 x 70 x 25

Red!! But again atypical, it's fast, not muddy, fine and an absolute belter. No heartbreak if this one doesn't sell and on the cusp of withdrawing $400

W1SVFcm.jpg

MFvB8HD.jpg

aZFP7C3.jpg

Shou honyama finisher

205 x 74 x 31

Ok this is the finest of the lot and the hardest. Crazy colouring going from olive through yellow to a slight red tinge at the other end. I had the foresight to photograph with stamp but they are since lapped off. For ura sharpening & razors (I'm out of my depth here though) $350

HeY007F.jpg

HjZNOig.jpg

zMZV2CN.jpg

nDaOQQm.jpg

Nu4ZEOe.jpg

I'm sad that you have to let these go.... As you said heirlooms. The fact you even had a chance at buying these was so damn Lucky!

I don't usually drool but damn. I'd be happier than a pig in $h17 with any one of these babies. BTW- followed that link to your instagram and ended up doing a deep dive on your page...any chance you'll share the recipe for that orgasmic looking upside down savoury caramel and potato tatin layered with oven roasted tomato and goats cheese?:hungry:

I don't usually drool but damn. I'd be happier than a pig in $h17 with any one of these babies. BTW- followed that link to your instagram and ended up doing a deep dive on your page...any chance you'll share the recipe for that orgasmic looking upside down savoury caramel and potato tatin layered with oven roasted tomato and goats cheese?:hungry:

Haha with pleasure - it was excellent and easy enough for me as non-baker to manage

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/recipes/7653348/Yotam-Ottolenghis-surprise-tatin.html

Maruoyama - SPF
Narutaki Suita - SPF
Ohira Suita - SPF
Namazu 2 - SPF

Let's add some
Midgrit spice:

Aizu

gKjXAJ9.jpg

215 x 70 x 65 $220
185 x 65 x 25 $100

Ok, maybe this will be my stone. I will send you pm tomorrow, gn now.

Back