Hello and thank you

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devsung

Reaction score
Just checking in as a newbie - the forum has been a great find and a valuable resource. Just a hobbyist home cook but loving the resource and information found here.

Based on reading past posts and research, have dove in to the world of better knives and picked up a Fujiwara FKM 120 petty and a Tojiro Shirogami ITK 120 petty from CKTG - great experience with the shopping, ultra-fast shipping. While extremely sharp OOTB, noticed that the Tojiro had an 'edge' on the FKM. My first non-western handle as well - very neat.

While visiting NYC a couple weekends ago, found out that Korin had a storefront in the city, so stopped in to window shop and gawk. While I resisted the temptation to buy anything more, I did pick up a Togiharu 1k/4k combo stone. I was all set to pick up a King 1k/6k as my starter stone given all the research here but was having problems finding one in stock at a reasonable price. Took it home, watched all the tutorials out on the web and went to it on older junk knives and my two new pettys. Learned quickly how better steel sharpens up much easier - the pettys were a walk in the park compared to stamped stainless, and even the carbon steel of the Tojiro was easier to put a good edge on compared to the FKM. Very cool :)

After reading about boards, it became very clear that Boardsmith boards were the cream of the crop and I should just stop looking - have a 14x20 Maple on its way to replace bamboo boards.

Next stop - a gyuto!

Thanks for the brutal addiction...

Enjoy the forums! Lots of great vendors and advice on pretty much every topic.

welcome, I myself have a togiharu combo, my advice is to keep it in a cool, damp environment. do not keep it in water and do not leave it to dry out on the line it will crack and fall apart, wrap it in a damp cloth and keep it moist and cool.

Welcome to the Knut House! You have only just begun to shop..............

Welcome to the forums, and welcome aboard a helluva ride ;)

Back