Hello - Brit living in Switzerland here...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all!

I been lurking for a while but wanted to say hello and get advice from those who know better ;-)

So far my knife knowledge goes as far as what I have read on the internet, and the limited sharpening I've done on my knives so far.

I got some 400, 800 and 3000 chosera stones and used them to rehabilitate a set of cheap knives (the kind that supermarkets give out if you collect enough points). The metal is super soft and its been great to learn how to sharpen by hand on the stones. The edges don't last, but that gives me a chance to practice. I've tried redoing the surface finish also but well, they are not the best and look awful!

I have one "proper" knife which is a Zanmai Classic pro gyuto 210mm. I've used it somewhat (home cook only) and its doing ok, but now it needs some maintenance to get it back to where it should be. I certainly can tell the difference in terms of hardness when it comes to stropping the Zanmai vs the cheapo ones, it takes double the passes to get the Zanmai to same point. Of course the edge lasts much longer though.

I'm looking for advice for how to get rid of fine surface scratches, and what knife to get next. I'll start new threads for those questions later.

For now though, its just hello!

Welcome aboard!
Soft stainless cladding gets easily scratched. Makes no sense IMHO to aim for a very nice finish that will get damaged at daily use. For a more or less acceptable look, I use brown/mauve ScotchBrite.

Latest posts

Back