hello dear members of the kkf i have a question for you regrading to cutting bread with very thick crust

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i did not want to flood the forum so i did many experimentation's and only now i return
the next time i will have to get a new bread knife i will try to get what @Jovidah has suggusted but in the mean time i have changed the baking time of the boules by using a thermometer and stopping baking when the middle reaches 96 degrees Celsius it has both increased the greatness of the taste for me and also makes cutting the bread using the bread knife i have a lot easier

Had an opportunity today to do a bread-off with some stale baguette. Old never-sharpened serrated vs thinned & sharpened gyuto. Sound off please, the mic was right by my breathing.

Serrated: Oxo MV55-Pro CrMoV 55 HRC never sharpened (my bad, the test is slightly unfair)

Gyuto: Sakai Kikumori 210mm in SK Nihonkou, which despite being the homeliest and most unassuming knife in the drawer (cheapest second only to the discount-bin Reigetsu) is the knife I use most, and has spent the most time on stones. Apparently I’m not the only one to appreciate this beater brand!

Last edited:
Had an opportunity today to do a bread-off with some stale baguette. Old never-sharpened serrated vs thinned & sharpened gyuto. Sound off please, the mic was right by my breathing.

Serrated: Oxo MV55-Pro CrMoV 55 HRC never sharpened (my bad)

Gyuto: Sakai Kikumori 210mm in SK Nihonkou, which despite being the homeliest and most unassuming knife in the drawer (cheapest second only to the discount-bin Reigetsu) is the knife I reach for most often, and has spent the most time on stones. Apparently I’m not the only one to appreciate this beater brand!

Sharp Gyuto for the Win always!!!

The paper towel test confirms Vadim Kraichuk’s point that a properly deburred edge, even at 12 degrees, will stand up to more load than one would expect. I am thinking of the bit in his book about how the BESS test will divot a wire edge, while properly apexed knives lasted longer than others at the meat plant.

Last edited:
Back