Hello Everyone

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rory Shannon

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I’m not new to knives as I work with them professionally in kitchens everyday. But I must say I am new to quality knives. I used to own a bag full of German steel which for the first part of my career served me well enough. My trusty workhorses were then stolen from me about 7 years ago (from within a professional kitchen!) and I have been using stock knives and beaters ever since vowing to never spend money on them again!

Well that’s all changed in the last year or so. I got tired of using blunt blades so I learned how to sharpen knives correctly on whetstones and I’m a dab hand at getting the worst blade pretty razor sharp if only for all of 20minutes!

So I decided to invest and look into Japanese steel. It’s A BIG world, but I’ve done ok so far and much like everyone seems to be in here, have gotten slightly obsessed.

I have purchased 3 knives for work in the past year and my prep & service game has changed.

I own a:
Masakage Koishi Nakiri AS
Makoto kurosaki Sujihiki 270mm SG2
Moritaka Honesuki 150mm AS

Stones:
Shapton pro 120 & 1k
Naniwa pro 5k
Suehiro Rika 5k

I’m about to buy my first Gyuto for work and possibly a Santoku for home. I’m looking at Konosuke MM & some Ikeda blades for the Gyuto. I joined the forum to learn as much as I can and gain more experience into Japanese Steel.

Nice Meeting you all!

Rory

Last edited:
Hello Rory,

welcome to the forums! You are well equipped already, but there is room for improvement. We can gladly help there :)

Back