Hello fellow knife (esp. nakiri) lovers

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've always wanted to add a bigger nakiri to my collection. I was thinking between the Wat 180 (does he still sell the 210?) and the TF Denka 195 - maybe Toyama? I could buy a used (and pre-thinned) TF gyuto for around that price too.

I am a bit hesitant because I'm not sure if the thicker grind up top with a lot of the longer nakiris would preclude cutting smoothly through tubers. Might as well get a CCK at that point, no? That's what I tell myself and my wallet anyway...

In any case, that's a solid knife @RockyBasel. Slice and dice in good health 👍
Thanks - well said

I would recommend the 180 or 210 Watanabe (he makes both) and can get it to you in about 2-3 weeks

also the 180 mm Toyoma on JNS

the Takeda Nakiri is nice as well. And the Heiji. But the Wat and Toyoma are both fabulous

br

A wink's as good as a nod to a blind bat!

20200728_221321.jpg

@Bert2368 makers and sizes please?
From the top:

Tojiro F-699, 165mm, white steel core, Iron clad (cheapish, you can get one from the site who's name and links we can't post here for around $50)

Kashima Sanjo, 180mm, white steel core, stainless clad ($220 or so including shipping from Cleancut)

Minamoto Shigekatsu, 165mm, blue steel core, Iron clad (NOS ebay find, no idea if they're available or present cost)

They will be back I am sure - I snagged one, and 5 min later - all gone. I think he may have had only 2, 210mm Nakiri is rare

After playing with all 3 nakiris in rotation, I do like the 180 + mm Kashima Sanjo best for most work.

Asside from the extra length and slightly less corrosion worry, the blade is several mm less tall than either of the 165mm. Just enough shorter so I can bridge the spine with my left hand and hold a vege with fingers to one side and thumb on the other which is something I habitually try to do during some prep work. Both of the the shorter nakiris are a little too tall for my stubby fingers to bridge like that...

Last edited:
@RockyBasel dude you are making me jealous! I like the nashiji finish a lot.

Who's the maker? The two knives look very proportionate for a 210mm
@RockyBasel dude you are making me jealous! I like the nashiji finish a lot.

Who's the maker? The two knives look very proportionate for a 210mm

I waited more than 6 months for the Toyoma 210 mm Nakiri, and I was lucky to nab it. So the migaki is the Toyoma 210mm Nakiri. There is a good video on YouTube where this Nakiri gets tested

The KU is also a 210 mm Nakiri but made by shinichi watanabe for me as a custom order

The watanabe is much heavier, at 307 gm. The Toyoma is 265 gm

The Toyoma feels great in the hand, far more nimble than the weight would suggest. Absolute joy to cut with

I also have the 180 mm Toyoma Nakiri - will be putting it up for sale now that I have this one. I only got it a few months ago and have barely used it

Wow! I am impressed. You nailed it!

Except for the Toyoma 180 - that is actually a Heiji Carbon Nakiri 190mm. I forgot to add my Toyoma 180 to the display. I knew I was missing a knife

The last one even I don’t know - it’s an unknown knife I picked up in Kyoto at a small workshop I ran into.

With that one Toyoma 180 exception, you nailed every single one.

Wow! I am impressed. You nailed it!

Except for the Toyoma 180 - that is actually a Heiji Carbon Nakiri 190mm. I forgot to add my Toyoma 180 to the display. I knew I was missing a knife

The last one even I don’t know - it’s an unknown knife I picked up in Kyoto at a small workshop I ran into.

With that one Toyoma 180 exception, you nailed every single one.

ah crap i didnt bother looking at the kanji on the Heiji since you mentioned you had a 180 toyama and they both looked shiny :p

A KU Shig is also on the hit list. How do you like yours compared to the ones you own? Also, no TF?

I think Toyoma rules. The shig is amazing as well, but it’s only 165 mm but the weight is quite hefty - 181 gm. It just feels great in your hand - the shig.

But if you want something bigger, then Toyoma rules. If you are interested in the Toyoma 180, let me know. I think I am ready to let that one go.

Watanabe is fantastic as well - at 307 gm it’s a beast. Looks amazing too. But I would give Toyoma an edge.

Bottom line - I would get them both - Toyoma and Shig - they offer something unique and special in their own way. These are world class knives made by masters of their craft - hard to put one ahead of the other.

I think Toyoma rules. The shig is amazing as well, but it’s only 165 mm but the weight is quite hefty - 181 gm. It just feels great in your hand - the shig.

But if you want something bigger, then Toyoma rules. If you are interested in the Toyoma 180, let me know. I think I am ready to let that one go.

Watanabe is fantastic as well - at 307 gm it’s a beast. Looks amazing too. But I would give Toyoma an edge.

Bottom line - I would get them both - Toyoma and Shig - they offer something unique and special in their own way. These are world class knives made by masters of their craft - hard to put one ahead of the other.

Thanks for the offer. I'll have to pass for now since my wallet is tied up with a few orders in japan at the moment... Still waiting for them to ship. I heard that some KU Shig Nakiris wedge severely since they're built so chunky, but I'm hoping I can pick one up on BST maybe? Too many knives, too many stones, too little money. Haha

Thanks for the offer. I'll have to pass for now since my wallet is tied up with a few orders in japan at the moment... Still waiting for them to ship. I heard that some KU Shig Nakiris wedge severely since they're built so chunky, but I'm hoping I can pick one up on BST maybe? Too many knives, too many stones, too little money. Haha

One thing about the Shig - it is extremely reactive - patina’s instantly - you have to keep wiping it. If you get distracted with cooking and you leave some tomatoes or onions on it - there will be an uneven mark on the knife in 2 minutes.

what are you eyeing in Japan?

One thing about the Shig - it is extremely reactive - patina’s instantly - you have to keep wiping it. If you get distracted with cooking and you leave some tomatoes or onions on it - there will be an uneven mark on the knife in 2 minutes.

what are you eyeing in Japan?

TFTFTFTFTFTFTFTFTFTF

Back