Quantcast

Hello fellow knife (esp. nakiri) lovers

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

cotedupy

Reaction score
"Vegetables and boneless meats" it says here...

Brisket flat, sous vide @ 145°F/34 hours then a couple hours around 170° F with apple wood in the cheap ass Walmart water smoker, sliced nice and thin. I like this nakiri more and more.

View attachment 89991
Nice! What's that handle made from out of interest? Looks remarkably like a couple I made for a friend of mine a last week. One for a nakiri, one for a cai dao.

Attachments

RockyBasel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
His knives are tamahagane and are impossible to get. I had a chance to get one on eBay, but declined - that was a large Gyuto, but the owner said it was more for art than performance - I like to use my knives.

In hindsight, after seeing this, I wish i would have got it!

4wa1l

Reaction score
Hello @nakiriknaifuwaifu! I'm also a huge fan of my nakiri. Posting mine here if that's ok.

Masakage Koishi 165mm. It's 182g so not a heavyweight, but it feels solid for the size. I think the height helps too. I'm almost certain my next knife will be a bigger one (The 180mm Toyama is calling!).

(Is it worth starting a dedicated Nakiri pics/discussion thread somewhere, or keep this one rolling?)

Attachments

nakiriknaifuwaifu

Reaction score
Hello @nakiriknaifuwaifu! I'm also a huge fan of my nakiri. Posting mine here if that's ok.

Masakage Koishi 165mm. It's 182g so not a heavyweight, but it feels solid for the size. I think the height helps too. I'm almost certain my next knife will be a bigger one (The 180mm Toyama is calling!).

(Is it worth starting a dedicated Nakiri pics/discussion thread somewhere, or keep this one rolling?)
Keep it rolling man!

By the way, I think I remember this knife! Were you the person who posted on reddit who had a custom tall masakage koishi minus the kurouchi?

In any case, it looks real great. What are your favorite things to use it for?

Last edited:

RockyBasel

Supporting Member
Reaction score

You heard the 180 Toyama calling? It heard your cry too - on available at JNS - both 210 and 180 - get them while they last 😊

nakiriknaifuwaifu

Reaction score
You heard the 180 Toyama calling? It heard your cry too - on available at JNS - both 210 and 180 - get them while they last 😊
RB I still get sad about missing the deal on your Toyama. Should have at least did a catch-and-release to try it out. I have a TF Toucou Denka now though, so :p You win some, lose some I guess

RockyBasel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s what makes this game fun😊

I sold that Toyama way below price point - not that it makes you feel any better😊

Bert2368

Reaction score
Hellish frozen Northern wasteland, aka MN

OUCH!

The 210mm.

It's in stock but $524 with DHL shipping to me in USA.

Damn, not able to afford that this week.

RockyBasel

Supporting Member
Reaction score

OUCH!

The 210mm.

It's in stock but $524 with DHL shipping to me in USA.

Damn, not able to afford that this week.
I got it a couple of months ago - it’s more nimble and agile in the hands than you imagine - beast, but it’s a beautiful beast

BillHanna

Reaction score
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
I forgot to post in the nakiri thread. It was kinda sharp already, but I wanted to play. I used a King 1k and a Shapton 1500. It got sharper and the blade road smoothed out. It originally felt like sandpaper. It went through a sweet potato pretty nice, but also confirmed my desire for greater length. For me being correct handed, the D handle(my first) felt really nice.
It’s my crappiest KU(Moritaka Dao Vua), but nicest cutting experience in a nakiri.