Hello fellow knife (esp. nakiri) lovers

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a big closet, plenty of room for more!

Can we move it to the kitchen knife? Shame to have to start another thread.

Don't think J-makers are ready to supply such demand, especially the kind of rhythm you collect these... sure you don't want to tune the genotype down a bit? :p

Are extra-tall kiritsuke nakiri and kamagata nakiri eligible for the nakiri club?
IMG_4244.jpg

Asking for a friend.

Going in the opposite direction, are there many makers out there with a small nakiri in their lineup? I'm talking 135mm and down.

I've seen the 120mm Watanabe, 130mm TF nashiji and a 135mm Moritaka. Any others out there?

Oh nice. I saw that one! If we're talking high end there was also this one. Bryan Raquin | 140 Nakiri Knife

I will likely end up picking up a cheaper one down the track. The appeal to me is the lower cost and I reckon it would be quite fun to use for small veg. I also have a long term plan to have a collection spanning from small to large, say 130 - 210mm, but we'll see how that pans out.

Going in the opposite direction, are there many makers out there with a small nakiri in their lineup? I'm talking 135mm and down.

I've seen the 120mm Watanabe, 130mm TF nashiji and a 135mm Moritaka. Any others out there?

Daitoku 120mm is another commonly available one on the more expensive end of things. Masakage also make baby kamagata nakiri for each of their lines. Kato (Yoshiyaki Fujiwara) makes both 150mm nakiri and a shorter (and much rarer) kamagata nakiri. There's also a shig KU in the rounded edge and heel style that's <150mm. Also very rare.

Kato Kamagata Nakiri from @khashy's collection

Screen Shot 2020-11-25 at 5.42.25 PM.png

Shig KU kamagata nakiri on the bottom, available in 135mm and 150mm (will run short).

Screen Shot 2020-11-25 at 5.36.48 PM.png

Shig KU 150mm (will run short).

Screen Shot 2020-11-25 at 5.36.55 PM.png

Daitoku 120mm in Iron Clad Aogami 2:

https://strata-portland.myshopify.com/products/daitoku-blue-2-120mm-nakiri
Masakage Koishi 110mm in Stainless Clad AS:

https://knifewear.com/products/masakage-koishi-as-kamagata-110mm?variant=5676739716
Inexpensive 130mm nakiri:

https://www.japaneseknives.eu/a-523...ri-vegetable-knife-kz-103-130-mm/#description
baby 90mm kamagata nakiri, no handle:

https://ibukiblade.com/collections/...-blank-blade-thin-kamagata-nakiri-knife-90-mm

Almost pulled the trigger on the 130mm TF but went with the 150mm...and then cancelled that order because coronavirus. If it's still in the shop, the grind on it was good.

Links added just in case anyone wants to gift me one of these :p

Last edited:

Bazes makes little nakiri out of longer knives that crack in quench and auctions them on IG.

@nakiriknaifuwaifu,
You mentioned in your Moritaka BST thread that you have replaced it as your daily driver.
As a nakiri-curious person, what is it that replaced it?

I've cleaned out my drawer and my denka gyuto is the only knife I own and use currently.

Not really by choice - I have limited funds and haven't quite settled on a long-term replacement nakiri.

That's not to blaspheme the Rectangle Gods (they're aware I've tried and failed to find a Denka Nakiri for more than half a year now), it's just that I'm going through a bit of a crisis where I'm not sure what I want in a knife anymore (grind, steel, cladding, maker, etc.), and it doesn't help that the resale value for a gyuto will always be higher than that of its nakiri analog.

Nakiris that I've considered include:
Heiji Migaki 180 is too hard to find and usually too short <60mm, unconvinced on the SS, heard the carbon is reactive
Shig KU is too reactive (I never used mine)
TF Denka is unavailable let alone the western
TF Nashiji - I was quoted around a year to make it to spec since the factory is busy (they didn't want to make it)
Jiro 180 is around 165mm long, and too expensive for a daily (though very cool)

and so on, so I'm basically chilling with my denka till I figure out what's next. The denka is a stellar knife though, and I'm having a lot of fun with it as I think through things. Most of my time these days is playing with random ideas like how to massdrop Maruoyama Suitas or something, so who knows...

@Carl Kotte Thanks Carl

Last edited:
I've cleaned out my drawer and my denka gyuto is the only knife I own and use currently.

Not really by choice - I have limited funds and haven't quite settled on a long-term replacement nakiri.

That's not to blaspheme the Rectangle Gods (they're aware I've tried and failed to find a Denka Nakiri for more than half a year now), it's just that I'm going through a bit of a crisis where I'm not sure what I want in a knife anymore (grind, steel, cladding, maker, etc.), and it doesn't help that the resale value for a gyuto will always be higher than that of its nakiri analog.

Heiji Migaki 180 is too hard to find and usually too short <60mm, unconvinced on the SS, heard the carbon is reactive
TF Nashiji - I was quoted around a year to make it to spec since the factory is busy (they didn't want to make it)

and so on, so I'm basically chilling with my denka till I figure out what's next.

@Carl Kotte Thanks Carl

there has been a big (feels like 210mm) TF maboroshi sitting at District Cutlery for a while at what feels like a reasonable price. it might pique your interest...

there has been a big (feels like 210mm) TF maboroshi sitting at District Cutlery for a while at what feels like a reasonable price. it might pique your interest...

I only use second-hand knives, so that's another big factor that limits my purchases. The first cut is like driving a new car off the lot - super stressful, never want to do it - so like my KU Shig, I never end up using the knife 😅

The district prices are good for US dealers, thank you for the idea. For TFs, I think it would be cheaper to order direct with the added bonus of customizing heel height, and I don't really see the appeal in a mab when I can get the same steel for half the price with a nashiji. Red handle mabs look sick though, tried searching for one second hand but narrowly missed a for sale post on the other forum.

Last edited:

and so on, so I'm basically chilling with my denka till I figure out what's next. The denka is a stellar knife though, and I'm having a lot of fun with it as I think through things. Most of my time these days is playing with random ideas like how to massdrop Maruoyama Suitas or something, so who knows...

@Carl Kotte Thanks Carl
Welcome!

Haiya! Just order a heiji SS direct. Request tallest heel height. Convex shoulders and round spine and choil once received. Be happy! And collect more nakiri's.

@Carl Kotte Thanks Carl
I thought for sure you had some unicorn nakiri lined up...

Good to see this thread still kicking ha :D

Welcome!

Haiya! Just order a heiji SS direct. Request tallest heel height. Convex shoulders and round spine and choil once received. Be happy! And collect more nakiri's.

I'm unconvinced on the semi-stainless. I did think about buying that gyuto you listed to try it out. If I end up buying a Heiji maybe I'll just give it to you next time in town to knock the shoulders off.

Tallest heel height offered is apparently 55 or something, haven't seen anything taller ever. Plus the wait is TOO DAMN LONG (I'm not waiting a year, I'm dying waiting for this dalman honyacci as it is).

Unicorn nakiri is a 180mm Shig Kitaeji for me. Kato KU is bleh no thanks.

Last edited:
I'm unconvinced on the semi-stainless. I did think about buying that gyuto you listed to try it out. If I end up buying a Heiji maybe I'll just give it to you next time in town to knock the shoulders off.

Tallest heel height offered is apparently 55 or something, haven't seen anything taller ever. Plus the wait is TOO DAMN LONG (I'm not waiting a year, I'm dying waiting for this dalman honyacci as it is).

Unicorn nakiri is a 180mm Shig Kitaeji for me. Kato KU is bleh no thanks.
What are you unconvinced about?

Back