Hello fellow knife (esp. nakiri) lovers

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My order hasn't shipped yet since I guess japan post is not shipping out of Tokyo. I might have to cancel part of or my entire order so don't want to jinx anything.

I wanted to pick up a nice koppa to finish it on after that comes in too

😂 but is it really all that? I wonder if it’s hype or reality. I feel like sometimes the forum pumps up a blade smith- mazaki for example. Is TF what people say it is?

have you used it? Are you buying direct or from retailer? Denka I presume

I'm trying to decide. starting small with a nashiji. communication with TF (Gaku-san) has been very good, things look ok nothing too major wrong with the knife (idk maybe there might be cracks or whatnot but that's why I'm starting small). We will see when the blade road hits the stone...

I'm surprised you haven't picked one up yet. The 195mm denka nakiri would be a good fit in your collection. But then again, I'm not too familiar with the smith other than by what's been written on this forum.

I'm aiming for a shig now too, so if TF doesn't sent that knife my way soon I'll probably cancel my knives. Either way, wish me luck

I'm trying to decide. starting small with a nashiji. communication with TF (Gaku-san) has been very good, things look ok nothing too major wrong with the knife (idk maybe there might be cracks or whatnot but that's why I'm starting small). We will see when the blade road hits the stone...
Great choice! The nashiji nakiri is one of the best bang-per-buck choices of any knife out there. It's a little short but flies through produce and always makes me smile.

Great choice! The nashiji nakiri is one of the best bang-per-buck choices of any knife out there. It's a little short but flies through produce and always makes me smile.

Thanks! I'm not really one for fit and finish, so as long as it cuts like a demon and sharpens like butter I'll be a happy man

Here's my Watanabe Pro 180mm Nakiri. I recently bought a Shigefusa 180mm Santoku and I really don't like that knife.

Attachments

• IMG_9938.JPG
    IMG_9938.JPG
    116.9 KB · Views: 33
Here's my Watanabe Pro 180mm Nakiri. I recently bought a Shigefusa 180mm Santoku and I really don't like that knife.
@jacko9 thanks for sharing!

Looks like the watanabe nakiris are rather popular. What about them make it "worth it?" Looks like I can pick up a 210mm gyuto for a bit more. I wish they were priced better

Thanks Jacko9 and Marek07, and @juice please do join.

Since I moved I've just had my dollar store knife and my suehiro 1000, 3000, and strop. It's been real nice to see your guys' collections.

p l e a s e s h i p m y k n i f e a l r e a d y

Last edited:
Well, here's one of them.

I bought these a couple of months ago off eBay when I decided to get into sharpening - "damaged Japanese chef knives" or somesuch.

I ended up with a couple each of nakiri, gyuto, and deba. Good thing I bought them for practice, as I have NO idea what I'd do with the debas.

Was it a stupid idea? Probably. But hey, such is life. They didn't cost me too much, and it's interesting to me, if nothing else.

Anyway, here's the first one. No doubt the kanji means "tinfoil" or somesuch (it's insanely light), but I thought I'd better shoot it because if I didn't someone would ask 🙃

Weight - 118g

length (total) - 285mm

length (edge) - 145mm

Balance point is a couple of cm in front of the handle

XH1A4387.jpg

XH1A4417.jpg

Last edited:
Well, here's one of them.

I bought these a couple of months ago off eBay when I decided to get into sharpening - "damaged Japanese chef knives" or somesuch.

I ended up with a couple each of nakiri, gyuto, and deba. Good thing I bought them for practice, as I have NO idea what I'd do with the debas.

Was it a stupid idea? Probably. But hey, such is life. They didn't cost me too much, and it's interesting to me, if nothing else.

Anyway, here's the first one. No doubt the kanji means "tinfoil" or somesuch (it's insanely light), but I thought I'd better shoot it because if I didn't someone would ask 🙃

Weight - 118g

length (total) - 285mm

length (edge) - 145mm

Balance point is a couple of cm in front of the handle

View attachment 89481
View attachment 89482
You can't hang with the cool kids with that nakiri. Go get a proper nakiri and come back :)

You can't hang with the cool kids with that nakiri. Go get a proper nakiri and come back :)

All Nakiri Lives Matter!

We are discriminated against heavily in this forum, and we must learn to stick together and value our own lives.

You might wanna take a rust eraser to it sometime soon tho :p

All Nakiri Lives Matter!

We are discriminated against heavily in this forum, and we must learn to stick together and value our own lives.

You might wanna take a rust eraser to it sometime soon tho :p
Just don't bully me into getting rid of my cleavers and gyutos to get more nakiris... Im just saying it's like showing up to a car club with a beat up pinto. Plus, Juice knows I'm joking. I'm just giving him an excuse to get a new toy.

Just don't bully me into getting rid of my cleavers and gyutos to get more nakiris... Im just saying it's like showing up to a car club with a beat up pinto. Plus, Juice knows I'm joking. I'm just giving him an excuse to get a new toy.

Also true lol. I shall live vicariously through your purchases.

I never really liked cleavers, I should go down to chinatown and get one someday to decide for sure hehehe more knives.

I do really need to save for a koppa finisher, though.

I wonder if you bought them from japanese_knives_natural_stone_au on Ebay. I've been wanting to pick one up to refurbish but the shipping cost is so high. Either way, looks like a fun little knife to zip around. How is the steel quality?

I bought them from charlie_web - got a couple of orders, and so they combined for postage and I got a solid discount on the rate which helped a lot (I had messaged them about it before I bought, so we were all on the same page. English isn't stellar but it's well functional.)

https://www.ebay.com.au/usr/charlie_web?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2754
No idea about the steel, I'm not experienced enough to know. It's so light it feels like aluminium, though 🙃

You can't hang with the cool kids
Is true, that.

All Nakiri Lives Matter!

You might wanna take a rust eraser to it sometime soon tho
Yeah, and fix the edge :) I have no idea if I even like nakiris, at this point, I just like being a part of the underclass...

Just don't bully me into getting rid of my cleavers and gyutos to get more nakiris... Im just saying it's like showing up to a car club with a beat up pinto.
Gyutos are boring, tho. Also, celebrate diversity - how many other people show up here with a tinfoil nakiri, hmmm?

Plus, Juice knows I'm joking. I'm just giving him an excuse to get a new toy.
There is that 🙃

Also true lol. I shall live vicariously through your purchases.
Not too many purchases coming up, I fear - I know enough to know I know very VERY little, so puchases should be delayed. My Shun is plenty good enough to carry me through while I learn the basics. A good petty and a good bunka are things I'm eying off, though, so maybe...

I never really liked cleavers, I should go down to chinatown and get one someday to decide for sure hehehe more knives.
That's kinda traitorous, innit?

"Vegetables and boneless meats" it says here...

Brisket flat, sous vide @ 145°F/34 hours then a couple hours around 170° F with apple wood in the cheap ass Walmart water smoker, sliced nice and thin. I like this nakiri more and more.

View attachment 89991

Gorgeous handle, and nothing like a patina from cutting hot meat! Were you able to cut it in one stroke?

Thanks for the recipe, and nice honesuki too. You must do a lot of deboning poultry.

also @juice I suppose a cleaver would be a bit traitorous but TF not being able to ship my knife is giving me blue balls. I need a rectangle cutting thing in my life.

The freshly sharpened (5000 Shapton pro, stropped a few strokes on newspaper) nakiri could indeed go through the hot brisket in a single motion without much pressure. Cold from the refrigerator as leftovers for sandwiches, it is a bit stiffer but still easy going.

Nice? honesuki cost less than $35 shipped... It does work rather better than the price might suggest. Fuji Nairihira FC-90. Giving it a road test, sharpened it once so far. It's in the picture because I had just used it to trim the brisket, which was Walmart's cheapest and needed a LOT of trimming- I removed 3.5 lb. of fat from a 14 lb. brisket, never before had such a high % of trim. What was left is very tender- That cow lived on junk food, watched a lot of TV and never hit the gym a day in its life.

20200811_115714.jpg

Last edited:
I am getting my first TG Denka - but sadly a Gyuto, not Nakiri - have never been sure about the quality of the Denka given the debates on this forum, but thought, may as well try.

I did put my Watanabe Nakiri and Toyoma Nakiri side by side on slicing tomatoes - Watanabe won! Food just falls apart.

Denka Nakiri or Gyuto first - that is the question

I am getting my first TG Denka - but sadly a Gyuto, not Nakiri - have never been sure about the quality of the Denka given the debates on this forum, but thought, may as well try.

I did put my Watanabe Nakiri and Toyoma Nakiri side by side on slicing tomatoes - Watanabe won! Food just falls apart.

Denka Nakiri or Gyuto first - that is the question

Both! The 195mm is calling your name

Also the toyama grind seemed much more sleek I'm surprised the Wat won

"Vegetables and boneless meats" it says here...

Brisket flat, sous vide @ 145°F/34 hours then a couple hours around 170° F with apple wood in the cheap ass Walmart water smoker, sliced nice and thin. I like this nakiri more and more.

View attachment 89991

View attachment 89992

View attachment 89993
I love that you cut brisket with that Nakiri. I have this stupid thing where I won't cut meet with my Nakiris. Maybe this will help me get over that.

Back