Hello fellow knife (esp. nakiri) lovers

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
isforme.jpg

@BillHanna

Thanks for posting!

I can see how that KU finish looks sticky. The grind looks pretty good to me - nothing that would affect performance from what I can see.

How is the steel and reactivity?

Keep it rolling man!

By the way, I think I remember this knife! Were you the person who posted on reddit who had a custom tall masakage koishi minus the kurouchi?

In any case, it looks real great. What are your favorite things to use it for?

That's the one. It's basically just a standard koishi but the store offers custom handles and a non kuro version. I do love the height though. I'll be looking for another ~60mm for the next one. The Toyama is so tempting, but I need to be sensible for a while (stupidly purchased a Togashi gyuto recently, what was I thinking ;)).

I use it for just about everything as I don't cook much meat. Maybe not quite as good as a gyuto for dicing onions, but I'm nitpicking. Sliced a whole bunch for French onion soup the other week and it was a pleasure. Didn't miss the gyutos at all.

That's the one. It's basically just a standard koishi but the store offers custom handles and a non kuro version. I do love the height though. I'll be looking for another ~60mm for the next one. The Toyama is so tempting, but I need to be sensible for a while (stupidly purchased a Togashi gyuto recently, what was I thinking ;
I use it for just about everything as I don't cook much meat. Maybe not quite as good as a gyuto for dicing onions, but I'm nitpicking. Sliced a whole bunch for French onion soup the other week and it was a pleasure. Didn't miss the gyutos at all.

Which Togashi Gyuto did you get? I got one too recently and it’s dynamite - since I now have 3, I am getting rid of my stainless clad blue Togashi

Not yet.
After a head of garlic and some pork, it’s had no reaction. Waaaaay less reactive than the Moritaka. I like it a lot in use, but man. Beauty comes from the inside with this one. I’m fighting the urge to remove the KU, since it’s leaving on its own.

Which Togashi Gyuto did you get? I got one too recently and it’s dynamite - since I now have 3, I am getting rid of my stainless clad blue Togashi

The Hitohira 240mm W#1 iron clad (pic here Hey Everyone). Still very new so I can't say a whole lot about it, but so far I'm really liking it.

Not yet.
After a head of garlic and some pork, it’s had no reaction. Waaaaay less reactive than the Moritaka. I like it a lot in use, but man. Beauty comes from the inside with this one. I’m fighting the urge to remove the KU, since it’s leaving on its own.

For whatever it's worth, I quite like the moritaka.

It's real heavy, cracks large carrots and sweet potatoes unfortunately, but drops through food quite nicely otherwise. With reactivity, it is an order of magnitude less reactive than my tojiro, too.

I thought it was going to be just a project knife, but I'm not sure I have the heart to leave it now.

Last edited:
Yeah. It was actually my main knife. I got the discount tfttf to replace it. If they were shipping US, I was gonna order a 180 for myself and a 150 for my son.

I should have sold you my shi tty Dao Vua instead lol. I literally forgot I had it.

Last edited:
Yeah. It was actually my main knife. I got the discount tfttf to replace it. If they were shipping US, I was gonna order a 180 for myself and a 150 for my son.

I should have sold you my shi tty Dao Vua instead lol. I literally forgot I had it.

I predicted that and said in my post I'd take any beater knife except Dao Vua 👿

Honestly if I didn't get any bites, I would have picked up that Morihei TF from Strata.

A+ white steel heat treat, iron clad for nice kasumi, 2/3rds the price of a 165mm TF nashiji nakiri - what's not to like? Besides the finish, it seems...

Has anyone tried one of the big 195mm TF nakiris (or any of them really)? Tried to search for some reviews but haven't managed to find much apart from new knife or sale pages.

It’s a old one masanaga betsusaku. Picked it up for very little it and it shocked me how well it performed. Shig For sure lives up to hype drops through any vegetables you want and leaves most right on the board where they belong. Great release on these.

It’s a old one masanaga betsusaku. Picked it up for very little it and it shocked me how well it performed. Shig For sure lives up to hype drops through any vegetables you want and leaves most right on the board where they belong. Great release on these.

I've never heard of the first maker. I found some beat up pieces on Ebay, but couldn't get much more info.

Glad to hear you're enjoying the shig. Very tasteful combination on the handle with the blond horn and dark wood, and I really like the crisp edges too. Maybe I'll get around to making something like that one of these days.

Please share more pictures of them so I may live vicariously through you :D

I cannot collect knives, but "collecting" elite nakiri enthusiasts together on this thread makes me very happy. Thanks to everyone for sharing pictures.

Just picked up the 180mm Watanabe pro. I was tossing up between a 195mm and this, but ended up sticking with the smaller size to see what all the fuss is about. Given there's some variation I asked for a larger one. It measures about 177mm along the cutting edge, 61mm tall at the heel and weighs 210g. One day I will probably try a bigger one, but this felt pretty good as soon as I picked it up. Has the extra length I was looking for but doesn't feel unwieldy. Pretty chonky spine at the handle which feels nice too.

The edge has basically a zero grind (maybe a tiny bevel) and is quite sharp, but nothing crazy. Not going to touch it until it dulls a bit though. I've only cut a carrot and mushrooms so far. Carrot wedged just a touch but the cut was still clean. Mushrooms don't really count, but they didn't stick which was good. It looks like it has a slightly asymmetric grind, but didn't notice anything odd when I cut. Maybe with taller ingredients I'll see.

Fit and finish is fine but not as nice as the Masakage. Couldn't feel any sharp edges or anything uncomfortable during the couple of cuts. Not stoked on the kuro finish, but if I feel like it I can always remove it. I've seen some nice sanded finishes done in this thread Remove KU and refinish with cloudy finish? .

I'll do a proper comparison between the two once I've used them more. So far pretty stoked and very keen to put it to use.

IMG_20201028_091401745~2.jpg
IMG_20201028_091647280~2.jpg

Last edited:
Just picked up the 180mm Watanabe pro. I was tossing up between a 195mm and this, but ended up sticking with the smaller size to see what all the fuss is about. Given there's some variation I asked for a larger one. It measures about 177mm along the cutting edge, 61mm tall at the heel and weighs 210g. One day I will probably try a bigger one, but this felt pretty good as soon as I picked it up. Has the extra length I was looking for but doesn't feel unwieldy. Pretty chonky spine at the handle which feels nice too.

The edge has basically a zero grind (maybe a tiny bevel) and is quite sharp, but nothing crazy. Not going to touch it until it dulls a bit though. I've only cut a carrot and mushrooms so far. Carrot wedged just a touch but the cut was still clean. Mushrooms don't really count, but they didn't stick which was good. It looks like it has a slightly asymmetric grind, but didn't notice anything odd when I cut. Maybe with taller ingredients I'll see.

Fit and finish is fine but not as nice as the Masakage. Couldn't feel sharp edges that made the couple of cuts uncomfortable. Not stoked on the kuro finish, but if I feel like it I can always remove it. I've seen some nice sanded finishes done in this thread Remove KU and refinish with cloudy finish? .

I'll do a proper comparison between the two once I've used them more. So far pretty stoked and very keen to put it to use.

View attachment 100570View attachment 100571

Nice knife mate! Choil shot looks like it'll make a great cutter.

Is that stainless or iron clad?

@nakiriknaifuwaifu
Do you take responsibility for turning KKFs view of nakiris from "pointless knives" to a valid option?

I'm not sure if it's just me or if there are actually more positive nakiri threads since you joined.

That's very kind of you to suggest that @Dull_Apex
I certainly have a love for the nakiri shape, and I'd be glad if more people are joining me.

Thanks again for the kind words,
NKW
:dancingcow:

Here's a mini review on the 180mm Wat Pro so far. I have to say that it's well and truly living up to the hype for me.

*Take note before reading on that I'm deep in honeymoon phase territory...

At 210g it feels solid but certainly not heavy. I think 180mm is a good size for a nakiri. Sometimes 165mm feels a little small but there's not a great difference. I do like the height though. It scoops up food better than a gyuto with the extra area. I also like that I can easily use it on a small board. The pictured board is 37x25cm and I use that all the time.

Shinichi hasn't gone full rectangle with the profile which makes it relatively forgiving. The slight curve lets you add a hint of rocking movement in a push cut which feels natural to me. The tip only has a small radius curve. Still feels smooth with a draw cut but it helps when dicing an onion. Better than my Masakage for sure.

The knife has the drop through food type cutting ability of my Makoto laser and adds food release. Some wedging on the standard culprits but very minimal. Overall it cuts very nicely. Not a lot to say, it just works well.

I underestimated the edge that it came with because it was easily cutting into my board when I was a little overzealous. I haven't sharpened it, so far only a couple of passes each side on a leather strop with green compound at a shallow angle. Seemed to bring it back to that board digging sharpness it came with. I'm not getting any microchips with the fine edge but I'm only using this as a home cook and tend to baby my good knives a bit.

As for the not so good (I'm trying to be balanced ... 🤥) Fit and finish is a little rough compared to my Masakages and Togashi but I'm nitpicking. I also don't like the kuro finish. I wish it had a nashiji or migaki finish instead. I reckon I'll sand it off soon enough. It also came with a tiny chip near the front of the edge but this could've happened during shipping. It will be gone after the first sharpening so no big deal.

Long story short; if you're looking for a nakiri and it falls within your budget, don't make a "help me find a nakiri" post and just get this one already. If it doesn't, just sell a gyuto for the extra cash because you don't need one anyway 😉

IMG_20201120_205910784~2.jpg

Back