Hello from a Knife Maker Wanting to Learn More

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AidenCC

Reaction score
Hello,

I’ve been making knives for about 8 years now, and over that time I’ve found myself finding valuable information about kitchen knives on this forum a number of times, and finally decided to make an account myself.

Like many other things, I’ve found myself learning more about cooking to better understand the blades used for it (along with bonsai, wood carving and a number of other “blade adjacent” hobbies). Recently this has included leaning how to process fish with a deba and yanagiba.

I honestly mostly do non-kitchen knives, but lately I have focused more on them. My favorite culinary knives lie on opposite ends of the spectrum in a lot of ways, with my go-tos to make and use being influenced by knives from Japan and Patagonia. The former is the main thing I’ve read about here and will likely be learning more/asking questions about. I’m not sure if this is a place to get design critique, but that is also something I’m trying to do with these knives as well. I am also a modest collector, primarily buying old, beat up (see “affordable”) knives to use as study pieces.

813B12D7-1978-4091-BB44-F8978990C039.jpeg

This is my personal set of self-made double bevel knives,

8044B2EF-EE88-49E7-B45A-F3619D55F09F.jpeg

And here is a picture from a few years ago showing some of my more “gaucho” knives with a smattering of others.

Thanks for looking, and excited to join the forum,
Aiden CC

Welcome, I too am a knife making hobbyist. I think there’s a lot to learn here about what people like and what makes a good knife, including the handles.

Back