Hello from Australia

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Legion74

Reaction score
Hi folks.

I've been lurking here for some time, but finally got around to joining properly.

My background in sharp things is actually straight razors, but in the last year or so I have become interested in improving my free hand knife sharpening game. I've a reasonable collection of natural hones now, for both razors and knives, but I have trouble resisting bits of unusual rock that I haven't tried yet.

Welcome to the forums.

Which part of Oz are you from?

Tell us abit about your natural stones.
Thanks mate. I'm in a town in central Victoria.

As far as hones go, a majority are razor finishers, almost all natural. But lately I've been hoarding various Arkansas and vintage Washita. I also have novaculite from the UK, Lynn Idwall, Charnley, and a couple of Turkey Stones. Lots of slate, welsh, german and some local. Lots of Coticules and BBW... I only have one Jnat currently, a suita. Some sandstone, QC and a Hindostan...

But at the moment for knives I am leaning towards the old Washita. They are new to me because they are not often used for razors, but they work terrifically with a bit of knife pressure. I've now got three, and they are a fun stone to use.

Welcome mate. What razors do you have?
Ah mate, I've got a lot, though not as many as I once did. I've been collecting, buying/selling, honing them for about fifteen years.

I guess for my personal preference I lean towards quarter or half hollow, mid 19th century, and have a bit of a thing for ivory scales. But that's not to say I wont pick up the odd Bengall if I find one in the wild for a good price.

Back