Hello from Canberra, Australia

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ubercanuber

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm Tom, 31, a home cook who's worked in kitchens in the past. I was first introduced to Japanese knifes by one of the chefs in said kitchens, he had quite the collection but didn't pick myself up a nice knife until recetly.

Got a Tanaka Blue 2 Nashiji Gyuto 240mm with a custom handle from K&S for myself for Chrissy last year, I haven't used it much recently as i am scared to sharpen, and stuff up the finish... and I am loving my bigger Kiwi Nakiri, besides edge retention.. Have a few stones and working on my sharpening.

Waiting for a FSR to come into stock (60x30) and been researching on what knife to pick up next, thinking a tall Nakiri or a small chinese cleaver.. Then might get something smaller and SS for my partner to use. This forum has been awesome for research!

Cheers,
Tom

G'day and welcome to the forums, Tom.

Tanaka Nashiji is definitely a solid first knife.

Take the plunge into sharpening. You probably won't scratch it up much. Even if you do, finishes, especially on wide bevelled knives, are easy to fix.

Besides, kitchen knives are tools and scratches bring character 😄.

Which stones do you have?

Forgive my ignorance, but what is an FSR?

Hi Tom, I am from Canberra too.
It is great to meet another Canberrian here.

G'day and welcome to the forums, Tom.

Tanaka Nashiji is definitely a solid first knife.

Take the plunge into sharpening. You probably won't scratch it up much. Even if you do, finishes, especially on wide bevelled knives, are easy to fix.

Besides, kitchen knives are tools and scratches bring character 😄.

Which stones do you have?

Forgive my ignorance, but what is an FSR?
Thanks Nemo!

I will over the weekend! I wasn't sure of the grind, nice to know its a wide bevel knife! There does seem to be a micro bevel/edge on it cause I can see one just on one side.. could be just blunt too!?

Character is one way to put it! My housemate recently dropped her nice knife and bent the tip.. I think that is taking the character too far 😆?

I have a atoma 400, king 300, shapton pro 1500 & 5000 and made a kangaroo strop last weekend 🦘.

Sorry the FSR is just the model of the Hasegawa normal/yellow cutting board! Just using a board I have had which was made from the family homes kitchen bench scraps, and a hinoki pine board that is a pleasure to smell.

I grew up in Canberra. Central VIC now, but still have family and friends there.
I do quite like it here.. Not sure if it'll be forever, way nicer than Sydney for me. I grew up in Jindy.

Are you going to show off your stone collection? Just ordered my first natural.. Plus was looking at doing some rock hunting exhibitions, maybe to see if I can find any suitable stones around here to take to the 10 inch grinder..

I do quite like it here.. Not sure if it'll be forever, way nicer than Sydney for me. I grew up in Jindy.

Are you going to show off your stone collection? Just ordered my first natural.. Plus was looking at doing some rock hunting exhibitions, maybe to see if I can find any suitable stones around here to take to the 10 inch grinder..
You might. I found a source of slate near me which I’m told by an experienced member here, is a very capable polishing stone for Japanese knives. So yeah, it is quite possible to find hones in the wild.

205796D2-BB2A-462C-B46D-6B68B0BDB37F.jpeg

Welcome @Ubercanuber!

If your KKF name is a reference to your Canberra roots... that is a pretty hilarious name. I like it.

Canberra gets a bad wrap. It is not a special city to visit. The surrounding country and bush are nice... but they can't compete with the beautiful coast line. Nor is the civic infrastructure that compelling (bland architecture etc...). The galleries are good if you like art.... The food culture is okay but not stunning...

BUT!!! That misses the point. Anyone who has lived there knows life is easier and more ergonomic than the bigger cities.

It seems to me that a lot of young adults are leaving Sydney for places like Canberra and Brisbane. For people on average incomes, Sydney can be aggressive - traffic, long commutes, expensive rent/property, stressed out people.

Back