Hello From Fred in PA

Discussion in 'New Member Check-In' started by Fred in PA, Apr 21, 2019.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Apr 21, 2019 #1

Fred in PA

Fred in PA

Fred in PA

Hello everyone. Just introducing myself. I'm a retired chemist, and have long admired fine kitchen cutlery, particularly Japanese-style knives. Just a week or so ago I made a trip to New York City to visit some of the Japanese knife specialty stores, and used the occasion to buy my first high-end (at least what I consider to be high-end) Gyuto, a picture of which I'm using as my Avatar. It's a Kintaro Aogami Super Kuroichi with a 240 mm blade. It's an absolute joy to use, and I just love the way it looks.

Also, beginning at about the start of the year I decided to try to up my game when it comes to sharpening skill. I can't say what level of skill I've achieved, probably pathetic compared to some of the folks on this forum, but I do know my blades are sharper now than they were. And although I started using Japanese King waterstones many years ago to sharpen woodworking tools, I'm really enjoying the Shapton Glass 500, and Naniwa Chosera 800 and 3000 stones I recently purchased, along with a nice compressed buffalo hide strop.

Currently I'm in the process of reading about the equipment and skills needed to get into making my own blades, especially focusing on what kind of 2 x 72" belt grinder to purchase. Advice on this would be most welcome. After educating myself a little, I'm looking to get into the craft primarily as a hobby.

2. Apr 21, 2019 #2
    Hello Fred, welcome to the forums! You got a nice knife and some really good stones.

About the knifemaking - just start a thread in the Shop Talk subforum and you will get plenty of advice. Just be prepared - i is not a cheap hobby :)

3. Apr 21, 2019 #3

Fred in PA

Fred in PA

Fred in PA

Thanks for the tip Matus. I'll head over to that subforum.

4. Apr 22, 2019 #4

Nemo

Nemo

Nemo

Staff Member Global Moderators

Welcome Fred. I look forward to seeing your blademaking develop.

5. Apr 22, 2019 #5

larrybard

larrybard

larrybard

Welcome! Maybe next year you can make it to the East Coast Gathering -- which you missed by just a few weeks.

Larry (in Philadelphia)

6. Apr 22, 2019 #6

Benuser

Benuser

Benuser

Supporting Member

Welcome aboard, Fred!

7. Apr 22, 2019 #7

ashy2classy

ashy2classy

ashy2classy

Welcome, Fred!

Kevin (in Harrisburg)

8. Apr 22, 2019 #8

Fred in PA

Fred in PA

Fred in PA

Thank you Larry. Where was the East Coast Gathering held, and where and when will the 2020 be?

9. Apr 25, 2019 #9

larrybard

larrybard

larrybard