Hello from locked down Melbourne

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melburn

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I have been reading this place for a while but figured I should jump in properly.

I am very much an amateur when it comes to knives and sharpening but tend to nerd out on product details more than I should.

The second wave has hit hard here which leaves me with a bit of extra time I. My hands. Security guards should not be sleeping with those in quarantine. This really happened!
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cn...e-coronavirus-breach-intl-hnk-scli/index.html
Cheers

Welcome to the Forums Mel.

This is a pretty good place to learn about kitchen knives and sharpening.

Which part ot Melbourne are you in?

Last edited:
Yeah the Victorian lockdown is pretty intense. Now I can't get into Bunnings (our version of Lowe's/Bauhaus) because I am not a certified tradesman with photo ID...

Welcome to the forums! What kind of knives have you got in your collection?

Yeah the Victorian lockdown is pretty intense. Now I can't get into Bunnings (our version of Lowe's/Bauhaus) because I am not a certified tradesman with photo ID...

Welcome to the forums! What kind of knives have you got in your collection?
Can you still click and collect?

Can you still click and collect?
Yeah, but I swear the stocktake is wrong on the site. Apparently they have no acetone of any brand or any quantity, even though there's always been heaps whenever I go in. Seems very unlikely...

Hi everyone thanks for the warm welcome.

Based in Glen Eira. Is anyone else here in the bayside/south eastern suburbs.

My knife journey started with a 6 inch Zwilling Kramer chef knife in Aebl. I have a mixed relationship here. I really like the tip and find it very easy to sharpen but the massive belly on its short length is odd.

Kaiden ax 220 gyuto in AS. I like the shape and feel but am still finding my way getting it as sharp as I want.

Kuro kuma ishi 165 nakiri in white 2. I really like how this knife cuts. Very thin behind the edge but quite weighty. Super easy to sharpen
My next knife be a 240 Gyutos with these attributes.

Naniwa pro 220 and 1000/3000 combo.
Bunnings have never been great at E-commerce. Really none of the Wesfarmers brands have executed Omni-channel well.

Bunnings have never been great at E-commerce. Really none of the Wesfarmers brands have executed Omni-channel well.

Kip, do you have an ABN? If so could you be defined as a trade customer?

G'day and welcome to the forum.

I'm from the inner northwest though lived down your way as well. Still trip across to Firebrand Bakery... or used to. Current 5km travel restrictions don't allow too much variety for shopping choices.

Sounds like you've started on your journey down the rabbit hole of knives & stones. Keep descending! ;)

Current 5km travel restrictions don't allow too much variety for shopping choices.
I can get to the Queen Vic Markets, that's all I was worried about in terms of the restrictions. Well, that and if I can still get meat from the markets 🙃

Welcome from another Melburnian.

Let's not just blame the untrained security guards - the people in quarantine should have known better too!

Fair point. It’s frustrating that poor decisions of a small number of people have caused 5 million people’s to be altered. The state government, security guard companies and the quarantined all have questions to answer.

Sorry if I am fiery about the topic but I have quite a few friends in the ski industry and this is likely to take some under.

It’s frustrating that poor decisions of a small number of people have caused 5 million people’s to be altered. The state government, security guard companies and the quarantined all have questions to answer.
TBF, it's not just them. About a quarter of people who are supposed to be in self-isolation aren't home when the cops/army call in to check on them (although a new $5K fine will hopefully sort that out...) and some other clusters out west claiming no knowledge of what they had to do.

Oh well, under 500 again today, fourth day in a row, IIRC.

Unfortunately, the peak in deaths can't be expected for a couple of weeks after the peak in infections.

It's also quite worrying that around 15% of infections are in health care workers. Really need to get the PPE sorted.

Unfortunately, the peak in deaths can't be expected for a couple of weeks after the peak in infections.
Agreed, but at least the tested infection numbers aren't running away, it seems. 394 new cases today is our lowest single-day increase for 11 days.

It's also quite worrying that around 15% of infections are in health care workers. Really need to get the PPE sorted.
Seems to happen everywhere no matter how careful they are. Not too surprising, I guess, given the environment they're in.

TBF, it's not just them. About a quarter of people who are supposed to be in self-isolation aren't home when the cops/army call in to check on them (although a new $5K fine will hopefully sort that out...) and some other clusters out west claiming no knowledge of what they had to do.

All responsibility does not lie with the guards, I agree. That said I don’t agree with the argument that lack of training was the primary cause of the security deficiencies. No one can claim that they needed specific training to know that fornicating with and accepting bribes with the people you are meant to be guarding is unacceptable.

Don’t get me started with those who have tested + not staying home....

No one can claim that they needed specific training to know that fornicating with and accepting bribes with the people you are meant to be guarding is unacceptable.
Yes, that's rubbish.

I do find it somewhat amusing that we have a reversal of roles in terms of politics, where the Libs are attacking Labor for shoddy privatisation activities 🙃

Seems to happen everywhere no matter how careful they are. Not too surprising, I guess, given the environment they're in.

There are reports (??credible) of Wuhan hospitals having zero HCW infections once they got their PPE and infection control protocols sorted out.

Then again, they had PAPRs for high risk staff. We rarely even fit-test our N95/ P2 masks. Hell, we don't even have a selection of sizes to choose from most of the time.

Last edited:
Agreed, but at least the tested infection numbers aren't running away, it seems. 394 new cases today is our lowest single-day increase for 11 days.

Yes, that's rubbish.

I do find it somewhat amusing that we have a reversal of roles in terms of politics, where the Libs are attacking Labor for shoddy privatisation activities 🙃

Agreed. I don’t lean heavily either way in politics but it amuses me that a former union official hired contractors because they were cheaper.

Also your hard rights in the federal government supported increasing job keeper seeker etc.
We live in a bisaro world.

Yeah, but I swear the stocktake is wrong on the site. Apparently they have no acetone of any brand or any quantity, even though there's always been heaps whenever I go in. Seems very unlikely...
What do you need it for J? And how much? Other things can work as well for various applications...

Yeah I have heaps of methylated spirits and mineral turpentine at home, but nothing beats acetone for certain cleaning jobs.

Any idea where to get some during the lockdown? I want to get some limonene too, a solvent that smells delicious!

Any idea where to get some during the lockdown? I want to get some limonene too, a solvent that smells delicious!

Oh I've not heard of Limonene. Sounds nice!

Cheap nail polish remover is usually EA, so any pharmacy. Should be 5 bucks or less for 250ml (dunno how much you need tho!). And works as well as acetone for the cleaning jobs I've used it for...

Back